Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've installed the latest wine, but when i try to install any program it doesn't work. for example, Daemon tools - it opens the first window with the agreement, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with WINE in Ubuntu

i've installed the latest wine, but when i try to install any program it doesn't work. for example, Daemon tools - it opens the first window with the agreement, i press next. opens another window and i press next again. then it closes with no error or anything, just like that.
    Nokia pc suite - doesnt even start it.
    Jedi knight, jedi academy, it starts the download but at 34% an error window pops: "component: Game1"
    "file group: Game 1 Files"
    "Files: d:\gamedata\gamedata\base\assets0.pk3"
    "error: Not Ready"

and after that - it closes. is there something i need to config? are these specific programs dont work with wine? i've read that Jedi Academy works fine with it. what could be the problem?
    im using KDE and GNOME, both.

thanks for your help

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by S_T_S_OM View Post
    i've installed the latest wine, but when i try to install any program it doesn't work. for example, Daemon tools - it opens the first window with the agreement, i press next. opens another window and i press next again. then it closes with no error or anything, just like that.
    I seriusly doubt it. Daemon tools install a virtual scsi miniport driver to create the virtual drive. Wine has exactly zero support for windows device drivers.

Nokia pc suite - doesnt even start it.
    No idea about that one.

Jedi knight, jedi academy, it starts the download but at 34% an error window pops: "component: Game1"
    "file group: Game 1 Files"
    "Files: d:\gamedata\gamedata\base\assets0.pk3"
    "error: Not Ready"
    Check the winedb, with a bit of luck, you will find info about the current state of that app on wine, and comments from the users telling their experiences, workarounds, solutions, etc.

im using KDE and GNOME, both.

thanks for your help
    The desktop environment is not relevant. Wine is desktop agnostic.

All in all, if you want to use software that's protected with anticopy, you ned to check the legality on your country, and, if possible, use a nocd patched exe.