• yes, and lots

1 100.00%
  • yes but rare

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • problems? don't ever think about it

0 0%
hi , this is my problem , when ever I try to install any microsoft software (like IE 4 , visual C++ etc.) it comes Can't find a volume for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

microsoft apps with wine

hi ,
    this is my problem ,
    when ever I try to install any microsoft software (like IE 4 , visual C++ etc.)
    it comes
    Can't find a volume for file extraction.

and also after installing a software . it starts but does'nt function properly . some error comes

WINE is not perfect. Some software works fine on some people's systems but not at all on others. It's really a gamble. If you simply must have a particular set of programs that were only released for Microsoft Windows, your most stable option is to set up a dual-boot and run those applications in their intended OS.

There is a way to get IE installed on Linux. I do not recommend it at all, but if you're just dead set on it, here you go:

Main Page - IEs4Linux

There is no real reason to install Microsoft Visual C++ on Linux, however. Linux has its own C/C++ compiler called GCC. There are visual front-ends to it that look similar to Visual Studio such as Anjuta, Eclipse, or Code::Blocks.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kaushik12 View Post
    hi ,
    this is my problem ,
    when ever I try to install any microsoft software (like IE 4 , visual C++ etc.)
    it comes
    Can't find a volume for file extraction.

and also after installing a software . it starts but does'nt function properly . some error comes
    I advise you to use this site to search for the application:

Wine AppDB - Wine Application Database

Sometimes you can find other users who have installed the same software, tricks, howtos and the like. I also advise to install the very lastest update. Wine just reached 1.0, and you should really upgrade. If your distribution doesn't offer packages for it, download them from the wine web site:

Wine HQ - Wine Binary Downloads

PS: About the poll, I think it's not fair. It really depends on the version of Wine you choose and the kind of programs you try to run. Wine has improved significantly and it now works ranging from perfectly to fairly well with a wide range of programs. It might require some work to get them working, but there's no way around that. Note that most of the problems can be solved by putting a couple of dll's on the right place. There's no way that wine could fix that, because it would not be legal to ship 3rd party dll files along with wine. However, with the time, I am fairly sure that most windows dll's and directx ones will be replaced by wine native stuff. Lot's of directx pieces have already been replaced by wine's own native libraries.

Most people would vote "yes, and lots" including myself. But I can't think how this could be any other way.

Wine isn't perfect. If you depend on Windows software, especially software that is very Windows dependent, you might want to look into virtualization with software such as VMWare Server or VirtualBox.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith View Post
    Wine isn't perfect. If you depend on Windows software, especially software that is very Windows dependent, you might want to look into virtualization with software such as VMWare Server or VirtualBox.
    Sure it's not. Vmware is not either. Both have advantages and downsides. For example, vmware is completely unsuitable for anything that relies critically on performance, like games.

Anyway, trying never hurts and if it works, then it's ok. If not, you can use vm's of course. IE is known to work ok, and if it runs in wine, the interaction with the rest of your system is much easier, not to talk about difference in resource consumption. An vm is much heavier, since it has to emulate a whole computer with its independent ram and cpu.

Cheers.

Just Joined!

App Size

Ok, so i have wine installed, and some .exe's downloaded, and when i go to install them, the windows and font are huge. how do i fix it?

Just Joined!
    Try install ttf-ms-fonts in linux , and or run the window programs in a virtual window
    set it up in,
    $ winecfg - virtual desktop.
    ttf-ms-fonts could be under a different name in your distribution i am using archlinux and wine 1.0
    Always install window programs as user.

Just Joined!

nice

thanks man. solved it, no problem.