Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is Divx codec can be used in wine? How can I configure my winamp 2.9 to play Divx movies? Infact how can I configure winamp to play any movie files? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tu2
    Just Joined!

DivX,QuickTime and Wine

Is Divx codec can be used in wine? How can I configure my winamp 2.9 to play Divx movies? Infact how can I configure winamp to play any movie files? No player in wine played my movie files. Quicktime Player 6.5 plays the video files without any sound. Can anybody help me?

Linux User
    Why would you want to wine winamp or install windows based codecs when there are Linux releases of both?

Linux Newbie
    To back up what Slip said, you can install xvid and use Xine or MPlayer to watch your Divx movies.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    I would like to use them under wine because I need either the Divx codec or the Xvid codec installed under wine to use AutoGK.

If anyone can direct me either too a tutorial to getting Divx/Xvid running under wine or a alternative to AutoGK I would be very grateful.

I still think just installing the linux release would work fine, but then again, I've never installed those using wine. Good luck.

Just Joined!

auto GK alternative

I have not personally tried this, but from reading some pages on the K3b website it can backup your DVDs to mp4 with codecs like Xvid/divX. I don't have a DVD-rom so i can't try it, let me know how this works if you try using k3b.
    http://www.k3b.org/
    http://k3b.plainblack.com/videoencoding

Re: DivX,QuickTime and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by tu2
    Is Divx codec can be used in wine? How can I configure my winamp 2.9 to play Divx movies? Infact how can I configure winamp to play any movie files? No player in wine played my movie files. Quicktime Player 6.5 plays the video files without any sound. Can anybody help me?
    If you want to play DivX movies, install the DivX codec. There's a Linux version. You can install just about any codec known to man for Linux programs like mplayer or xine. There's no reason to use anything in WINE unless you're just hell-bent on using those particular programs.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Re: DivX,QuickTime and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by tu2
    Is Divx codec can be used in wine? How can I configure my winamp 2.9 to play Divx movies? Infact how can I configure winamp to play any movie files? :
    No reson to use Winamp in Linux. You have Bep Media Player which supports Winamp skins, so it can look just like Winamp 5, but works natively.

And if you want to watch movies, you've got Xine and Mplayer and all the nice frontends to them (like Kaffeine, Totem or KPlayer).
    Just install windows codexs (w32codecs), divx and xvid codes, and you'll get a great multimedia system from your Linux box, natively.

If you don't want to do this all alone, you can always install a Linux distro which comes with it all preinstalled, like Aurox Linux or MEPIS.

Just Joined!
    xine doesn't use DivX or XviD at all. Not even optionally. xine (and all players based on xine - Kaffeine, Totem etc.) uses built-in libavcodec from FFmpeg.

MPlayer uses built-in libavcodec from FFmpeg, too. Although it can optionally use DivX and XviD, too, if it was compiled appropriately and you explicitly specify those codecs. But libavcodec is the default.

This is a very widespread myth - most people don't know that:

1. DivX is an MPEG-4 codec (commercial, closed-source).

2. XviD is an MPEG-4 codec, too (open-source).

3. MPEG-4 is a standard (that's why MPEG-4 codecs are more or less compatible).

4. There are many other MPEG-4 codecs, DivX and XviD are just one of them.

5. The No. 1 codec library in Linux and other open-source systems is libavcodec from FFmpeg (open-source).

6. FFmpeg has their own MPEG-4 codec and that's the codec that most Linux programs use for decoding and encoding. FFmpeg MPEG-4 is what you actually use for MPEG-4 playback in all Linux players. Many people call it "DivX" without knowing it's actually FFmpeg. Other people think the only open-source option is XviD, but it's FFmpeg MPEG-4 that's used the most (and most people don't know that it exists).

7. DivX is irrelevant and useless in Linux - it is officially no longer available for Linux (the Linux version is obsolete, buggy and dead and DivX is now officially Windows and Mac OS only) and it's not needed for anything. And both FFmpeg MPEG-4 and XviD are vastly superior in Linux in every aspect.

8. Installing DivX or XviD for xine, VLC etc. is useless because they don't use them at all. They use built-in FFmpeg MPEG-4 (no external codec needed).

9. There's no such thing as "DivX video" or "XviD format", it's MPEG-4 video.

Just Joined!

OK, Mr Professor J.M.. Maybe you can help me out then.

If everything is so well why doesn't xine or mplayer play my just downloaded movie "something.xvid.avi".
    First it wouldn't give me any sound, so I installed the divx codec. Then it gave me at least sound.
    No picture, I installed Xvid.
    Still no picture.

How do you get .mov trailers played in Firefox?

Thx, deception.

Ok, I went to the sourceforge site. I'm convinced. I will though of the divxvid and use FFmpeg lib.

Thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast