Find the answer to your Linux question:
i know that wine works by using windows .dll files and such. i read the wine description and found "Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

make wine work better with windows?

i know that wine works by using windows .dll files and such. i read the wine description and found "Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native system dll files in place of its own if they are available."
    i am assuming this means that if i own windows i can copy the windows files into the wine directory? if this is true i would like to know which directories are most important to copy..should i copy my internet explorer over or leave that as it is?

Hello and Welcome!

It really wouldn't be much to your advantage to attempt to copy all that many Windows applications into Wine. After all, Wine has various degrees of being able to run various Microsoft programs. See the WineDB for more info. In my opinion, if you're that concerned about being able to continue to use Windows programs you might want to look into setting up a dual-boot system so that you can use the Microsoft applications natively. Either that , or look into using a equivalent program for Linux. See this link.
    Last edited by jayd512; 08-30-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    actually, i already am dual-booting windows and linux. and the reason i ask this is because i hate windows vista and i no longer have xp. i would like to make a switch to just linux, but a game i play wont work with wine, and i want windows media player 11 so i can stream music to my xbox 360. but really i was just wondering how big of a difference would it make if i could copy original windows files over?
    also i dont feel like paying for a program like win4lin..i dont know how to crack programs in linux either, i've only done it in windows lol
    **just to clarify i am not asking about cracking so dont flame me**

Well, as far as running programs with Wine, it's kinda going to be a hit and miss for you. While Wine works well with some programs, it won't run some at all. Sadly, it's not just a matter of copying the files to make it work either. Really, the best you can do is to install Wine and then install games or programs the same way you would with Windows. After that, it's just about hoping for the best. If you're wanting to keep up with your gaming though, be prepared to have to keep dealing with Windows as it will have (probably) better results.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by skills123 View Post
    i know that wine works by using windows .dll files and such. i read the wine description and found "Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native system dll files in place of its own if they are available."
    i am assuming this means that if i own windows i can copy the windows files into the wine directory? if this is true i would like to know which directories are most important to copy..should i copy my internet explorer over or leave that as it is?
    You will have a very bad experience if you start throwing random directories into the wine folder. Wine can use *most* native dll's if needed. However, if you don't really have a reason to use a native dll, you shouldn't use it. Wine includes builtin implementations for quite a lot of windows and directx dll's. In other words, if you don't have a reason to copy anything, don't do it.

Second: if you want to use a given program under wine, install it using wine and you will have less problems (i.e. download the redistributable IE installer, and run it with wine). Don't go copying windows binaries into your wine folder -again, unless you have a good reason to do so-. To install a windows program is not just to copy a bunch of files usually. It also needs to add a lot of cruft to the registry, and certain files and other things go in different places. The installer will take care of that, so use it.

Quote Originally Posted by skills123 View Post
    actually, i already am dual-booting windows and linux. and the reason i ask this is because i hate windows vista and i no longer have xp. i would like to make a switch to just linux, but a game i play wont work with wine, and i want windows media player 11 so i can stream music to my xbox 360.
    I'd look for an alternative. There's really no point in using windows media, and I don't really know if 11 will run under wine. As someone said above, look into the wine app database.

also i dont feel like paying for a program like win4lin..
    You don't have to. As far as I know win4lin is just a fancified version of qemu, which is just a virtual machine that runs windows inside it. There are a number of other VM's (virtualbox, vmware...). They are are mostly the same, and none of them will run last generation games, since they can't bridge to the 3d direct rendering subsystem of the host OS (linux in this case). This means no 3d acceleration at all inside the VM. And anyway, you still need to have windows installed inside the virtual machine (so, you are better dual booting really).

The only native option is wine.