Find the answer to your Linux question:
The main question is the first one. The last two are less important, and unlikely to be something known for people who haven't done a few obscure experiments, I think... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Two instances of wine; "default", and with winetricks. Is this the way to do it?

The main question is the first one. The last two are less important, and unlikely to be something known for people who haven't done a few obscure experiments, I think...

I've read it on the read-me file of another, totally unrelated program, but I've searched a bit and seems to be something more general:

./configure --prefix=/home/*user*

(from within the root folder of the source, of course)

Alongside with having the "normal" install, either via apt-get or compilation, without this prefix specification. It's just that easy or there's something more to it?

I suspect that, if I'm going to have two instances compiled from the source, I need two separate source folders, which would be needed to eventually install only one, or both, instead of trying to uninstall just one and losing both, or being able to uninstall just the last one installed, with the previous becoming "stuck", impossible to uninstall.

The idea is to have a totally "default" wine, and other one "hacked" with winetricks.

And, to make the whole topic a bit more fit in this sub-forum, here goes two extra wine questions:

1 - Which one would be better, for some reason, to have "hacked" with winetricks -- the distribution's package, or the one compiled from source? I think that perhaps it's better to not mess with the distribution's package so that I have an instance that is more guaranteed to install, and also, any sort of feedback I'd report on bugs or whatever would be more valuable. At least for the distribution's developers/maintainers... in the other hand, having a non-hacked version of the compiled source would do the same, but specifically for wine development, with perhaps, some compromise of reliability for my personal use, as the one from source wouldn't be as adjusted for my distribution (I think that's the whole point of packages, isn't it? Or mainly the readiness for installation?). These are basically the differences I can think of.

2 - Can these two instances of wine share the same pseudo "c:\>" and "program files" subfolder for each single program installed? I know it's possible to have two "windowses" on the same drive, unlike linux, just changing the folder, but I'm not sure if the two instances can share not only the "program files" but also the program installations themselves. I think that they could. I would only need to install every program twice, once in each "windows", so both have the same registry. Of course, I'd not have different program settings per wine, but I guess that's pretty much it.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by the dsc View Post

./configure --prefix=/home/*user*

(from within the root folder of the source, of course)

Alongside with having the "normal" install, either via apt-get or compilation, without this prefix specification. It's just that easy or there's something more to it?
    Either I am not getting the whole point of your approach or you are on the wrong way.

I fail to see how having two installations of wine is going to help you. The behavior of wine is defined by the contents of ~/.wine, and that has nothing to do with the number of times you install wine.

Winetricks shouldn't touch anything on your installation, only under your ~/.wine directory. And the --prefix configure option has nothing to do with that. It just specifies where the wine binaries will stored when you do "make install".

A simpler approach to this would be to make two ~/wine directories. I'd do this:

1. Install wine using your distro's package manager.
    2. Install winetricks and whatever hacks you want to use.
    3. Then "mv ~/.wine ~/.wine_winetricks".
    4. Now install whatever you want on your second wine installation. ~/.wine will be regenerated with a clean config.
    5. Now "mv ~/.wine ~/.wine_clean"

Now you can change from one config to another just doing:

Code:
    ln -nsf ~/.wine_winetricks ~/.wine
    or

Code:
    ln -nsf ~/.wine_clean ~/.wine
    You can define aliases to change from one to another, make script to select the correct one before running a given program, etc. etc. etc.

That's all you need.

Linux Newbie
    Well, that's the difference when someone actually know what is doing! Many thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close