Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm new to this forum so I'm really hoping you guys will lend me a hand. Also, I'm a bit new to linux/ubuntu so you'll have to excuse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine/Libronix

Hey all, I'm new to this forum so I'm really hoping you guys will lend me a hand. Also, I'm a bit new to linux/ubuntu so you'll have to excuse any stupid questions I might ask. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I want to install a windows only program called LibronixDLS. I think that's what its called... It's a bible reference database. I have Wine installed but every time I try to install it (I'm installing off of a CD) I go into the CD and open the setup.exe with Wine and after a good wait the install wizard will pop up (If I'm lucky) it'll give me the first screen, I'll hit next and then the window will flash. After that I'll be at the screen asking me if I want to do a typical install or a complex install. I hit complex and then next. It asks me where I want to install it to and I just went with the default Wine directory. After that it goes to the installation part. It flashes again and says that the installation was interrupted and can't continue. It was well does this when I try to uninstall what was started. So basically its stuck where it is. How can I get this to work?

Also, I tried going into the terminal and typing in "sudo wine (directory of setup.exe)" and after I put in my password it tells me that I do not own wine. Because of this, I can't even get to the help from wine using the terminal. How can I fix this?

too long; didn't read:
    Wine won't fully install or uninstall libronix bible reference database/terminal says I don't own wine. Please help

Just Joined!
    Hello and Welcome!

I'm rather new to Ubuntu myself and still have alot to learn about it. But what I think is going on here is that Wine cannot install your program because of the filesystem Ubuntu runs on. That's my guess anyways. I think what you have to do is install in windows, copy the folder it is installed in into Ubuntu somewhere, and open the .exe file with wine. For me that worked with a few simple programs but not huge video game programs.
    good luck

To begin with: Stay away from root unless absolutely necessary.
    Then: Wine is a great program but it still is full of bugs. I personally always try to avoid using Windows applications by just looking for Linux alternatives. 9 out of 10 times there is an equal or even better application compiled for GNU/Linux. I suggest going for the easy approach and see if you can find a Linux equivalent, line KMess or aMSN as a replacement for windows Live Messenger. If a Linux equivalent doesn't exist, then use Wine. Wine is great, but is STILL full of bugs.

Hope this will help

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies, although both were unhelpful. I know it will install using wine. But for some reason for me it will not work. As well the option of what was first suggested is not an option for me.

Maybe you should look on the Wine part of Linux Forums and maybe you'll find your answer there. I don't think you should post this thread again there because that's against the guidelines. I'm afraid I can't be of much more help, than just keep on looking and maybe if you were more specific on what application you're trying to run, I could experiment my self and help you. Also a possibility.

Good luck, hope you'll find the answer. I'd like to help you but I simply can't!!!

Quote Originally Posted by libronix View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I want to install a windows only program called LibronixDLS. I think that's what its called... It's a bible reference database.
    Regardless of what issues you may be having with WINE, I think the real problem here is the program you're trying to install. According to the Wine Application Database, no versions of Libronix work with it, period.

Wine AppDB - Libronix DLS

Also, I tried going into the terminal and typing in "sudo wine (directory of setup.exe)" and after I put in my password it tells me that I do not own wine. Because of this, I can't even get to the help from wine using the terminal. How can I fix this?
    As stated above never ever try to run WINE using the "sudo" command. Sudo basically tells your Ubuntu system to let that program have super-user privileges and allow it to make any changes to your system it wants. This can seriously damage your OS and is a very, very bad idea.

If you're interested in bible study software, you might consider installing Ubuntu Christian Edition, which includes several bible-related applications pre-installed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    I am probably not the most knowledgeable about religious software, but a quick search on my gentoo tree yield some results that might be useful for you if you can't make your program work.

I think all of them are native linux programs related to The Bible, take a look and see yourself, I never used them so I can't really tell how good or bad they are:

BibleTime: Software - Bible study software for Linux / KDE
    GnomeSword - Bible study with GNOME
    The CrossWire Bible Society - Free Bible Software - Bringing the Gospel to a new generation

There were many more results, but they were related to fortune quotes and dictionaries.

For the rest, I repeat the warning that the people gave you above: never ever use wine as root.

As I told you there could be more than enough alternatives. There are enough Christian(like) people on this world who are willing to make these apps. When you are searching for things that are popular in our world (like religion or sports) you won't need to worry that there is no good alternative, all you need to do is a bit of searching and comparing. I can do everything with my Ubuntu system I wanted to do with Windows.

I can develop apps, I can write/read mail, do some IM. I can browse the web, and administer our home network from my GNU/Linux system. The only problem I've seen so far is gaming, but I'm not a gamer anyway, so I don't have too much problems with that. If you can't find a good alternative, you can always knock on our forums door, or you could try to write your own. I suggest just using the forum.

Hope you'll manage finding your alternative.

Just Joined!

alternatives are weak in Linux

There really isn't an alternative to Libronix in the linux world. I would suggest using Crossover Office. It will get it up and running, mostly.