Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have ubuntu 8.04 and I would like to use some windows Japanese programs. I tried, but the encodind is all messed up. It used to happen in windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to use Japanese programs

Hello,

I have ubuntu 8.04 and I would like to use some windows Japanese programs. I tried, but the encodind is all messed up.
    It used to happen in windows as well unless I selected Japanese as the language foa ll the non unicode software. Is there something similar in wine? Or is there a Japanese version of wine?
    Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Lots of Windows applications will not work under WINE. You can check the WINE Applications Database to see what will and won't work. Adding Japanese to the equation might complicate issues further, but I'm not sure. You can check the WINE website for any Japanese versions of WINE that might exist.

Good luck with your efforts, and do let us know how it goes.
    oz

Linux Guru
    There's nothing such as a japanese wine. I've heard reports about japanese and chinese software running ok under wine (wordperfect comes to my mind right now). My guess is that it only depends on which program are you trying to run. Some extra fonts might be needed though, I am not sure.

In any case, I would start searching the wine app database and see if the program(s) you want to use appear in the database.