Find the answer to your Linux question:
Basically i installed wine and then typed wine as my user. then after a problem occured i threw open SU privilages and ran wine, and the program worked fine.. However ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Changing wine cfg for non root.

Basically i installed wine and then typed wine as my user. then after a problem occured i threw open SU privilages and ran wine, and the program worked fine..

However now when i want to play games as my normal user i get this error:

Code:
    Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
    Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system" is not accessible.
    Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/skythra/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Gravity/RagnarokOnline', starting in the Windows directory.
    wine: cannot open (null)
    Well that just about happens everywhere when running as a normal user. So what i think happened is i killed perhaps my user config for wine maybe? and the drive hasnt been allocated... hence it cant access it? But at the same time i dont know where the configs are except where i found the wine installation folder somewhere around etc/wine or something (dunno right now).

Any help is really appreciated!!!
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    Sounds like it's a permissions thing. Probably running as root has set up a config file in the roots directory or one owned by root in your user directory.

Can you run winesetuptk and reset the location of your fake windows directory?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Newbie
    sorry lost the internet for a few days, and when i go wineconfig it doesnt change anything, the folder permissions themselves in linux are set to the user in question, but they cannot be seen lol..

i suppose i should run wine again and set it up in hope that it kills the root ownership.. but yeah thats a little dodgy in my opinion that only one user can use one windows fake dir.

What about creating a second windows fake dir for the user? How would i go about that?
    /skythra

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    sorry, also in kde how would i remove the package for wine? yeah cause the package manager just installs and uninstalls whats loaded from the cd's...
    /skythra

Just Joined!
    I think that the files put in ~/.wine/dosdevices haven't the right permissions. Then just simply remove the dosdevices folder and it will be automatically created with its content the next time you'll launch wine, and it should work.