Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Wine Doors but I see no option to install a Windows app from a setup.exe file on my hard drive. I only see options to download a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Doors cannot install Win app from a setup file on HD?

I just installed Wine Doors but I see no option to install a Windows app from a setup.exe file on my hard drive. I only see options to download a Win program or install an app from CD. Am I missing something? I guess I should just use Wine, not Wine Doors, to install from an .exe?

I'm a Linux newbie running Mint 6 and am just starting to try to learn how to use Wine. I wish there was a wizard or something to install a new app.

By the way, Wine Doors website has a section labeled "documentation" with a link "Installing Windows Applications", but there is no documentation at all there when you click on it.

If all you want to do is run an *.exe, then using wine will be easy. WineDoors is more helpful for programs that need a little tweaking before they will run properly (e.g. certain dll libraries loaded natively etc.). Also, if I'm not mistaken they are trying to be a package manager for windows applications on linux as part of their goals (hence why they have "download an app" as an option, but not install from harddrive).

Open a terminal:

Go to the directory that has the .exe file in it

$ cd /path/to/file

Now run it with wine:

$ wine whatever.exe

Some applications will run, some won't. You can look at the WineHQ data base here: WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD and Mac OS X to see if your app will run "right out of the box."
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Just Joined!
    thanks sdimhoff. Well, I think I would rather run it from the GUI than from Terminal, but I will try that if the GUI won't install it. I have to figure out how to run this program, which is not on the Wine list as it's a pretty obscure instructional program, but after installation in WIndows it still requires its CD in a CD drive to run. I have an ISO of the CD so i guess I need to mount it as a virtual CD drive before I can try to install the program in Wine. It's pretty complicated for a newb but I hope I can figure it out.