Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi people, i'm new to this forum... i've been trying to install office 2007 (prof plus) using wine (1.1.19) onto Ubuntu 8.04. I've managed to get to the installation stage ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

office 2007 installation error

hi people, i'm new to this forum...

i've been trying to install office 2007 (prof plus) using wine (1.1.19) onto Ubuntu 8.04. I've managed to get to the installation stage but at around 60%, the installation stalls for around 1 min then just closes/disappears...(no error)?

terminal shows:
    Unhandled exception: wait failed on critical section 0x7e617d58
    err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000194 flags 0 addr 0x7bc3493f
    Process of pid=0084 has terminated
    No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Modules:'
    Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
    No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Threads:'
    process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)

pls note i am new to linux so dont know much

Out of interest, is there a reason you need to have microsoft office, rather than using OpenOffice?
    OpenOffice can handle files made with MS office, and it's free and designed to run on linux. You can find out more at openoffice.org, and you'll be able to install it using your distribution's package management program.

If you can't do that, let us know why (cos the solution may be simpler than you think), but also look at this: wine appDB. Basically it says that the current version of wine is known to be unable to run the office 2007 installer, but that you should try with a version before 1.1.17. I'd suggest using the latest stable version (1.0.1), unless there's a reason not to.

Hope this helps
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Main reason is that all the files i use (when not at home) are microsoft office and so the formatting gets messed up when opening in openoffice.

how would i downgrade to 1.01?

thx for the help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'd not had any major formatting problems, but it might be that I've just not used the features that you need

As far as downgrading goes, that'll depend on how you installed wine in the first place - did you use your distribution's package-management program? (Which distro you're using might be useful to know anyway).

Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"

Just Joined!
    sorry for the late reply, i'm using ubuntu 8.04

i used this:
    How To Install Microsoft Office 2007 In Ubuntu 8.04 | Samanathon.com

sudo wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/...t.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

sudo apt-get update

apt://wine/

i then used sh winetricks msxml3 dotnet20 gdiplus riched20 riched30 vcrun2005sp1
    to install winetricks

I'm kindof surprised that ubuntu doesn't seem to have wine in it's own repositories, but distro-watch confirms that it doesn't. How strange

Never mind - on the subject of downgrading, since there doesn't seem to be a package of the latest stable version available, the only way I can see to make this work is uninstalling the package you've got at the moment, then installing 1.0.1 from source. This is a pretty messy method, to be honest (tho it should work), so if anyone else is reading this thread and has a neater way of doing it, please suggest it

I get the impression from your post that Office is the only program you're trying to install in wine. If that's wrong, and you've got other programs working already through it, there's a possibility this process will break them, and it may erase your wine config file - which is fine if you don't need anything from your old wine setup because you haven't installed anything, but not fine otherwise.

1) Uninstall wine and winetricks using apt (probably easiest to do that from the graphical environment of apt, but I don't know ubuntu so I can't say exactly how that works).

2) Download the wine 1.0.1 source file from http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/...-1.0.1.tar.bz2

3) open a terminal and go to the folder where you saved that wine download.

4) run these commands
    Code:
    tar -xvjf wine-1.0.1.tar.bz2
    cd wine-1.0.1
    sudo ./tools/wineinstall
    5) reinstall winetricks using apt, but making sure it doesn't also install wine. (we uninstalled it then reinstalled to try to make sure it is configured for the right version of wine - the new one we've just installed).

6) then try installing office as you did before.

HTH
    Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    I'm kindof surprised that ubuntu doesn't seem to have wine in it's own repositories, but distro-watch confirms that it doesn't. How strange
    Huh? I only use official repos and I've installed wine. Am I missing something here?

Also, for Open Office; is it actually messing up formatting or is that just the old legend? I haven't had any problems with formatting since the 1.x series of Open Office.

As far as repos go, since the guide p4rth was following includes instructions to add extra repos, I presumed wine wasn't available in the standard ones. Then I looked at the distrowatch page, and saw that wine had a dash next to it (rather than a version number).

My info isn't based on ubuntu use, so yours is much more likely to be right!

Giles