Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by techieMoe The E: you see there isn't actually a drive letter. Linux doesn't use drive letters like Microsoft Windows. The E stands for "error." Drives in Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    The E: you see there isn't actually a drive letter. Linux doesn't use drive letters like Microsoft Windows. The E stands for "error." Drives in Linux are given designations like /dev/sda, /dev/hdb, and /dev/cdrom.

I would respectfully disagree with casper and recommend that you NOT install the Envy driver. It has caused myself and others a number of problems in the past. However, for future reference you can install .DEB files using this command in Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions (replacing "nameOfYourDebPackage" with the actual file name):

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i nameOfYourDebPackage.deb

Ok thanks for the info. At least I know how to install packages. I won't try the envy driver then.

Quote Originally Posted by leojreimroc View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. At least I know how to install packages. I won't try the envy driver then.
    Are you having any graphical issues with other 3D applications? A good test would be to install a game like Planet Penguin Racer or Chromium that use 3D effects and see if you notice anything odd. If not, I would suspect the problem isn't with your graphics driver at all, but rather a misconfiguration of your WINE environment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I would respectfully disagree with casper and recommend that you NOT install the Envy driver. It has caused myself and others a number of problems in the past.
    I have tried envyng 2-3 times recently in different machines and it worked fine every time. May be I am lucky.
    Well ! As you stated that it has caused problems to you and others, I won't recommend it next time. Thanx for the info.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    I have tried envyng 2-3 times recently in different machines and it worked fine every time. May be I am lucky.
    Well ! As you stated that it has caused problems to you and others, I won't recommend it next time. Thanx for the info.
    It could just be issues with my hardware. I don't mean to say Envy is universally bad... just that it doesn't work for me, so I can't recommend it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I respectfully disagree (not completely) with both devils casper and techiMoe X_X lol sorry

but It seems that driver is installed correctly as you were able to run compiz. (though I'm not 100% sure on it)
    May be as techieMoe said you should try some native Linux applications using 3D rendering.

It can be Wine glitch.
    I recommend you to make a clean Wine prefix, Install most of the dependacies using winetricks
    there is a big list of components I install while creating a wine prefix.

while tweaking wine you will need to edit Registries -> UsefulRegistryKeys - The Official Wine Wiki

Mostly its not recommaded to install multiple softwares under one prefix. its likely to create glitches in wine.

You can get Q4Wine to handle multiple prefixes, however you need to compile it.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Are you having any graphical issues with other 3D applications? A good test would be to install a game like Planet Penguin Racer or Chromium that use 3D effects and see if you notice anything odd. If not, I would suspect the problem isn't with your graphics driver at all, but rather a misconfiguration of your WINE environment.

These problems are only when I'm in Northrend. If you're not familiar with the game, this area is the new outside area. Instances (new or old), or any of the old content (Azeroth or outlands) does not give me any problems.

Also, I was experimenting, and when I put my view distance on low, it seems the problem is either fixed, or it takes a much longer time for the game to crash. I'll try playing for longer later on and give an update. While this might be a temp fix, it would still be nice to play with a high view distance though.

Quote Originally Posted by leojreimroc View Post
    These problems are only when I'm in Northrend. If you're not familiar with the game, this area is the new outside area. Instances (new or old), or any of the old content (Azeroth or outlands) does not give me any problems.
    That makes me think b2bwild might be on to something. It's possible your version of WINE has been tweaked so that the existing regions of WoW work, but the new expansion hasn't been accounted for yet. I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Also, I was experimenting, and when I put my view distance on low, it seems the problem is either fixed, or it takes a much longer time for the game to crash. I'll try playing for longer later on and give an update. While this might be a temp fix, it would still be nice to play with a high view distance though.
    That's the spirit. Tweak, experiment. Maybe you can find a happy medium in your settings. I've had to do that in MS Windows before.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

So you are getting this problem only in Northrend but not Outland?
    because rendering in Northrend is quite similer with Outland.
    So you should have get troubles in outland too.

and was this error thrown by WoWError.exe?
    The instruction at "0x7E126AE0" referenced memory at "0x765096B0".
    The memory could not be "read".
    If it was try repairing your WoW client.
    Never make any misteaks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    So you are getting this problem only in Northrend but not Outland?
    because rendering in Northrend is quite similer with Outland.
    So you should have get troubles in outland too.

and was this error thrown by WoWError.exe?

If it was try repairing your WoW client.
    I have to admit, I haven't spent a lot of time in outland, especially flying, when it seems to be giving me the most problem. The error you posted is the one that I'm having, so I tried repairing, deleting all folders (WTF, Addons etc), and when I put my view distance to full, it still happens.

a Clean wine prefix mostly solves the problem, but however you can lock your camera view distance to close.
    Never make any misteaks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast