Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would really like to get Flash MX running under Wine - that way I won't need to install windows again. However i've tried every combination of the two newest ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me please... [Flash MX]

I would really like to get Flash MX running under Wine - that way I won't need to install windows again. However i've tried every combination of the two newest wine releases and dcom98/95 to install, and different settings in .wine/conf.
    I am going nuts.
    Where can I find help?[/u]

Just Joined!
    BTW I am using gentoo, wine20040813. Will post debugging info if anyone here thinks they'll understand it

Linux Guru
    <disclaimer>Not trying to start a flame war here</disclaimer>

I've found from personal experience that the best distro for running wine is Mandrake. It comes pre-installed and pre-configured, so that all you have to do it type in wine /path/to/setup.exe and it works. I've installed several applications on Mandrake using this method (for freinds, I don't need no stinking windows apps ). I have never been able to successfully install and configure wine from scratch in a way that will actually let me install applications. The MDK rpms take care of all that.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: Help me please... [Flash MX]

Quote Originally Posted by knudx
    I would really like to get Flash MX running under Wine - that way I won't need to install windows again. However i've tried every combination of the two newest wine releases and dcom98/95 to install, and different settings in .wine/conf.
    I am going nuts.
    Where can I find help?[/u]
    Hmm... I simply copied C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash MX to my Linux partition, chmod-ed it to allow myself execution and read/write permissions, and did a "wine /windows/Program Files/Macromedia/Flash MX/Flash.exe". That way I got past having to install Flash from a CD-ROM, which probably requires DCOM95 or DCOM98 (which I've never tried). You probably also need to copy important Windows system files to your virtual Windows directory.

Perhaps you can install Flash MX on a Windows system and copy the files over via a USB drive?

Just Joined!
    get the original install file for flash mx... {the installer} and copy and chmod it under linux, then WINE it... that will work, as ive done it for my computer ^^ you cant just WINE a file assosiated to windows, wine the installer.. i hope this helped ^^

Just Joined!
    Has anyone tried this for MX 2004? Both Flash and Dreamweaver perhaps? Thanks for any help!

Linux Newbie
    I seems to work under Cedega. Get the CVS version, which is distributed in source form and still called WineX, and compile it yourself.

LINK : http://transgaming.org/cvs/
    Registered Linux User #394578

I just installed Flash 8 with no problems at all with wine .

Just Joined!
    same here only it closed without explanation after a few minutes, my fault for being too lazy to fix windows i spose (note to self, system files are not toys)

Yeah, system files are always toys to me
    But yeah, after i made that cocky post, i noticed the same thing, that it crashes a lot, and saving progress does very little good, as half the projects i saved couldn't be opened due to 'corruption' of the file.

But fixing windows is not the solution here. I know 'you just hate windows, so you want everyone to hate them with you', yeah, that's true, but there are at least 2 open source projects that i came across for creating flash content on linux I don't remember what their names were, but a good googling will find them again.

Remember, it's stuff like this that gives windows a reason to exist. Because we all have that one little thing that they don't have for linux, well i've learned to either do without it, or to use the primitive open source equivilents of them.

All statistics are logged on the internet, and for every second you're logged into windows, is more fight linux will have to put up to convince these big software companies that there IS a demand for their software in the linux environment. Until then, Micro$oft will keep paying these companies NOT to make software we can use, and we'll have to wait for an open source alternative.

Have patience, and have fun.