Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was reading a forum post about WINE and Windows compatibility, it was mentioned that WINE does not work on all Windows apps and probably never will. Then I remembered ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Brilliant idea for WINE!

I was reading a forum post about WINE and Windows compatibility, it was mentioned that WINE does not work on all Windows apps and probably never will.
    Then I remembered Captive-NTFS.
    [ Reference ]
    Bingo! I hit the jackpot. Most people who use WINE, have Windows installed already, so why can't we do the same? Get "Captive-WINE", pull necessary DLLs and stuff from Windows partition, voila! Instant, fool-proof, 100% compatibility!
    Since WINE does not distribute the DLLs themselves, as with the case in Captive-NTFS, it is legal!

So what do you think?

Just Joined!

Re: Brilliant idea for WINE!

sounds great but it would take the fun out of windows i don't think bill gates would appreciate that but that's why linux is great because we the people can do only the work die hard windows operators can only dream of

Sounds good to me, to an extent this is already done though. If you read frankscorner you'll see there is usuallyneed to download certain dll's form the net and make an entry for them in the wineconfig. Winetools would also do something similar when you are installing IE etc, it actually pulls the bits down from windows update. there are also other sites that redistribute these dlls. I would love to see a tool that would run through pulling down enough to get by. I don't really even like running things on wine, but I do miss gaming sometimes.

I've even contemplated installing service pack 2 for XP to get over my woes. Do you think it'll run under wine?

Just Joined!

Thats not the point of WINE

Well, even though it is a good idea, having done that myself with Win98, Win2000 and tried it with WinXP, I do not recomend this to anyone. This is a violation of Windows Copy right and I dont want any Windows files / dlls on my linux desktop.

I have a really good configuration file, which lets me run most of the apps I need. Currently, I am able to run:
    Lotus Notes 6.5.2
    Windows Media Player 6/7
    RealPlayer 10
    IE6
    Wordview, Excelview, Visioview

I did try and install trillian and MS Office 97. Trillian didnt work. Office 97, I have no use for as Openoffice 1.3 is awesome.

-GGR

Linux Newbie

Re: Thats not the point of WINE

Quote Originally Posted by ggvrsn
    Well, even though it is a good idea, having done that myself with Win98, Win2000 and tried it with WinXP, I do not recomend this to anyone. This is a violation of Windows Copy right and I dont want any Windows files / dlls on my linux desktop.

I have a really good configuration file, which lets me run most of the apps I need. Currently, I am able to run:
    Lotus Notes 6.5.2
    Windows Media Player 6/7
    RealPlayer 10
    IE6
    Wordview, Excelview, Visioview

I did try and install trillian and MS Office 97. Trillian didnt work. Office 97, I have no use for as Openoffice 1.3 is awesome.

-GGR
    why WINE realplayer? They've got a native client out.

the windows real player is better. unfortunately the linux one doesn't have playlists and stuff like that.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Enthusiast
    You can use windows Dlls and put them on linux to use wine with apps that don't work

Just Joined!
    How do you configure wine and install the dlls? I'm using Suse 9.3 KDE.