Hi,
I'm trying to install the latest wine (wine-1.1.21) from source tar-ball onto a RedHat 5 64-bit server. When I first started, it warned me about a lot of missing libraries (mostly all sorts of 32-bit development files but also some applications like icotool and fontforge). Now I've managed to resolve most of them by running "./configure --enable-maintainer-mode" and then installing the missing dependencies one by one. So I've gotten to the point when there's only two dependencies left:

configure: libgnutls 32-bit development files not found, no schannel support.
configure: libcapi20 32-bit development files not found, ISDN won't be supported.

I have installed both "isdn4k-utils-devel.i386" and "isdn4k-utils-devel.x86_64" which should provide libcapi20 development files and I have installed both "gnutls-devel.i386" and "gnutls-devel.x86_64". I have tried to go through wine configure with only 32- bit versions of these development packages installed and I also have tried it with only 64-bit packages installed. The result unfortunately is exactly the same-- these two packages are invisible to wine configure.

All the other configure errors disappeared when I installed the respective development package, but not these two. So I suspect that wine just looks for the header files in the wrong place, however altering that, is beyond me.

Also interesting point is that it was also missing hal-devel at the beginning and the problem didn't go away when I installed "hal-devel.i386". It only stopped complaining about hal-devel when I also installed "hal-devel.x86_64" and had them both on.

RedHat support just told me this:
Red Hat is not shipping 'wine' along with the Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions. Red Hat do not recommend and support installation of any third party packages or compilation of packages. Please note that since it's a third party package compilation issue, we won't be providing any support for it.
So please help if you can!