Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I have just installed WINE on Linux-Suse and a Windows-program that runs as a service on Windows. That worked well. Now i want to create a RPM installation-packet, where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

creating RPMs including wine and a windows program

hello,

I have just installed WINE on Linux-Suse and a Windows-program that runs as a service on Windows. That worked well.

Now i want to create a RPM installation-packet, where wine and the windows progam is included. Now I have some questions:

Is it enough to adjust the WINE RPM and pack the Installation-folder of the win-program into the tar.gz-file?

Perhaps there is also the possibillity to use the installer-exe at the end of the wine-installation via prescript?

the application is about 2 MB big.

Where can i find detailed information to this issue (i am a newby in Linux)?

Do I need the SRPMs of Wine or the RPMs?

Would this still work on a PC, where Wine is already installed?

Linux Guru
    This has some problems, both practical and phylosophical/legal (probably).

The EULA or license you accept when you install a Windows program will most likely tell you that it's forbidden to redistribute the program in any form, which is what you intend to do. If you plan to use it on many machines, then most likely you have to purchase many licenses. Of course this might apply or not depending on the concrete license the program has.

About the practical side of things. Windows programs are designed to run with full r/w privileges on your system. To achieve this, wine emulates a windows installation on your home directory, this means that the program has to be installed on a per-user basis, and can't be installed system wide (i.e. on /usr or /opt). I don't think that there's any clean way to overcome this one.

Just Joined!
    There is no legal problem because the program is server-client based. The licencing depends on the number of clients connected to the server. the program i want to use in Linux is the client-component, that doesn't have a use without the licenced server.

The role model for the way of installation is google picasa. When you install picasa for linux, it is mostly the same as in windows except wine is included within the installation.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by c_andy_man View Post
    There is no legal problem because the program is server-client based. The licencing depends on the number of clients connected to the server. the program i want to use in Linux is the client-component, that doesn't have a use without the licenced server.
    That doesn't mean they allow redistribution. But maybe they do, just read the license.

The role model for the way of installation is google picasa. When you install picasa for linux, it is mostly the same as in windows except wine is included within the installation.
    picasa probably uses a shell script wrapper to launch the whole thing after setting the right WINEPREFFIX and the rest of things like mozilla prefixes whatever else is needed. I guess you could do that as well.

Another option if you have the source for the client could be to compile it against winelib so the app is standalone.

Just Joined!
    I have only found examples on Compiling C or C++ Sources over Winlib. Is this also possible with Delphi?

Linux Guru
    I haven't ever heared such a thing. The equivalent for delphi in linux would be lazarus, if I am correct. It uses the fpc (free pascal compiler) as a backend. So I guess that's the direction that you should be looking at. Maybe you can ask on their mailing lists or something.

However, the lazarus/fpc seems not to be so big and I haven't ever heard of pascal bindings for winelib...