Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, could anyone point me in the direction of a guide or thread for a complete and utter novice to Wine. I installed it just fine but from there I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help an absolute newb with Wine

Ok, could anyone point me in the direction of a guide or thread for a complete and utter novice to Wine. I installed it just fine but from there I have very little idea how to use it.

I'll be using it exclusively for games so maybe I'll be better off setting up a dual boot with windows and using that for games instead?

Dual boot is the best solution imho for gaming. Wine does not guarantee you will get your games running. Have a look at Wine Application Database
    Just for a try insert the cd or whatever installation media you got for a game and either right click on the *.exe and "execute with wine" or move to the folder from the terminal and "wine *.exe"
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

I would highly suggest if you are going to rely on wine that you use the command line for it, and not go through an X windows gui. The gui will not log errors, whereas the commandline will give you SOME hint as to why something failed.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yeah might just need to get my hands on windows again. Thanks for the advice guys.

if you are REALLY lucky, then reactOS may work for you. It is still an alpha (maybe beta, I haven't looked in a while) but it is able to run some games.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Forget Windows i use my playstation 4 games.