Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I tried to download some programs that i normally use with Windows. Wine makes that work, but a major problem is happenning to me. installation errors and pop up screens ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy My experience with wine this time.

I tried to download some programs that i normally use with Windows. Wine makes that work, but a major problem is happenning to me. installation errors and pop up screens like a corrupted version of Windows. I tried to install direct X the updated version, it would not install. Wine was so bad for me, that I had to unistall every program I downloaded. 1.0.1 is really terrible, very buggy. Is it me or is it version 1.0.1 not installing my .exe programs. I got the version from the Ubuntu software center. And its 1 out of 5 stars for me.

Hello and Welcome.
    Wine isn't meant to run everything and a lot of things that do run very often don't work that well. You can find a list of what has been tested to work or not. WineHQ - Wine Application Database
    I'd suggest that if you have Windows programs that you must use, then you should use a dual boot enviroment to use Windows for those programs instead of giving bad marks to some excellent software like Wine.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

installing directx into wine is nonsensical, because wine is implementing the directx api itself and you shouldn't mess with that

wine is not foolproof, not everything will work, you should always check WineHQ - Wine Application Database to see how well your application is working

1.0.1 is not the latest release, there are likely lots of bug fixes in the newest version

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    How do I get the latest version for Wine? Good news!, I did try one program that worked well with version 1.0.1 and it is called Stigs Sky Calender an Astronomy Program. I just wanted to say that it works good for basic applications. Dual Boot is my goal for every computer I own in the future.

I don't like rebooting...

what's your opinion on virtualization?

i use virtualBox from Sun and i like it so far.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gccengineering1996 View Post
    How do I get the latest version for Wine? Good news!, I did try one program that worked well with version 1.0.1 and it is called Stigs Sky Calender an Astronomy Program. I just wanted to say that it works good for basic applications. Dual Boot is my goal for every computer I own in the future.
    Hi friend,

I have long back discarded windows and using linux. As a professional I am a project manager with a team of 20 developer/team leader. I am able to manage everything without windows, though all of my team members are working under windows. Initially I was concerned about shifting but now I am very confident.

I can proudly say that I am very secure as per security aspect is concerned under linux and I am able to perform my duties without any problem.

Why I am writing this is there is one peculiar program which runs under windows but I am able to install the same under wine and able to work just like in windows(the same software is not listed in wine list of applications).

Quote Originally Posted by clickalot View Post
    I don't like rebooting...

what's your opinion on virtualization?

i use virtualBox from Sun and i like it so far.
    Virtualbox is good.

VMWare Server or Player are also free and very good.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use Wine for a number of useful tools and utilities that I can't get resonable replacements for in Linux. However, there are a couple of applications that I absolutely need to use which only run under Windows - no joy in Wine country! In those cases, I run XP in a VirtualBox VM very happily. Since I have a 2 monitor system, I can give one to XP and if I need it for Linux, I just minimize the VBox window.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Great! Thanks for the post. I always wanted to get iTunes running under Wine.

Can you please comment on the following:

How stable is iTunes under wine?
    Can you burn CD's with iTunes under Wine?

And you mention you need the richedit30 update. Where do you get that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast