Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed wine 1.01 (stable version) and I downloaded Steam, which works MUCH better than last time I tried a year ago or so. I downloaded and installed Counter-Strike:Source and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Counter-Strike:Source??

I installed wine 1.01 (stable version) and I downloaded Steam, which works MUCH better than last time I tried a year ago or so. I downloaded and installed Counter-Strike:Source and Audiosurf. Audiosurf opens up just fine, but it crashed, but I think it was cuz I was doing a bunch of other stuff, no big deal there. More importantly, CS:S only sorta starts up. It messes up my resolution like crazy for one, and for two, when it "starts up" I just get a black screen with my mouse on it. If I move the mouse around tho, I can hear the sounds from hovering over the menu buttons. Doesn't make sense to me. Is there something I can do? Here's my system info, just in case:

AMD Athlon 64 - 2.2GHz
    2GB RAM
    ATI Radeon x800GTO - 256MB
    Running Ubuntu 9.10, along with compiz and emerald (I heard these can mess with things)

Thanks in advance, since I get zero help from ubuntuforums.

I think compiz can cause problems too. Disable it and try again
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Alright. Ill give that a shot and get back to ya on that. Thanks.

You should always head to wine website first.
    WineHQ - Counter-Strike: Source Retail / Steam

Just Joined!
    I did check there first. It said that it should run fine, but I will try this all again when my computer is back up and running. Unfortunately, it took a crap on me. Keeps shutting off. Probably the power supply, but I planned on rebuilding this christmas anyways. So I guess the timing was a lil off, but oh well, still got my lappy. lol Anywho, when I do rebuild it and get up and running again, I will try disabling compiz and all that jazz and get back to ya.

1.0.1 is pretty old, you should try the latest 1.1.34 and download winetricks and install directx9, vcrun2008, vcrun2005, vcrun2003, vcrun6, corefonts, and tahoma via winetricks.