Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I appear to have totally broken my wine messing around with the new WoW 3.3.0 patch. For some reason, the downloader, patch file, and Background updater were all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] rpcrt4.dll failed to initialize, aborting

Hey all,

I appear to have totally broken my wine messing around with the new WoW 3.3.0 patch. For some reason, the downloader, patch file, and Background updater were all unable to start up a particular function in this dll (WoW.exe still worked). So after messing around with my wine to get my wow updated, eventually NOTHING will launch.

It gives me a "err:module:attach_process_dlls "rpcrt4.dll" failed to initialize, aborting" every time. I have tried:
    Downloading that dll and manually putting it in my system32 folder.
    Totally uninstalling wine, deleting my .wine folder, and completely reinstalling of wine and wine devel.

I run Fedora 12. Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    I have same problem with Torchlight game,game worked me with wine-1.1.33 but when i update to wine-1.1.34 i have a

$ wine Torchlight.exe
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "rpcrt4.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Runic Games\\Torchlight\\Torchlight.exe" failed,

Execute winecfg command and select "Builtin then Native" for rpcrt2 in Libraries.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Tried that. I have tried all of those options.

I upgraded wine in one machine only and that method worked fine to sort out rpcrt4 problem. I will upgrade wine in a few other machines and will check if it works.

Most of machines have Ubuntu/Debian only. Which Linux distro are you using?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I'm running Fedora.

Just Joined!
    and i use Arch linux

edit:

now they wont to start winecfg

winecfg
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "rpcrt4.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000005
    [alen@chakra-desktop Documents]$

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem after an install hung and I hit control-c to stop it.

Even winecfg would not start up because of rpcrt4.dll. It turns out that trying to run winecfg and hitting control-c again before it has a chance to tell me about how it couldn't load rpcrt4.dll. This seemed to reset wine back to it's "normal" state. Everything works fine now.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Execute winecfg command and select "Builtin then Native" for rpcrt2 in Libraries.
    Hey all, i know this post is from quite a long time but i had to register to thank devils casper for his solution, it worked perfectly for me. So, thanks.

PD: Sorry for any misspelling.