Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I recently installed slackware 13 and I then installed wine through slackbuilds. And when I download programs to use with it It lets me install the software through the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

programs dont work

Hello I recently installed slackware 13 and I then installed wine through slackbuilds. And when I download programs to use with it It lets me install the software through the normal microsoft installer type app in wine but when it comes time when it asks me if I want to run the software the software doesnt work. Can someone please tell me how to get wine working ?

Just Joined!
    what happens when you try to start a program?

did you have a look at the hp of wine? they have a lot of documentation there.

Just Joined!

wine slackware

I was told to get winetricks to fix my problem after I posted this and alot of the programs in winetricks wont install .

so when you run it on the terminal what does it look like? normally when you first set up wine you have to run winecfg, not sure if winetricks did this for you or not.

Just Joined!

wine slackware

never ran winecfg before and it just says it cant install alot of the wine tricks libraries I dont know why. Maybe certain libraries have to be installed before others are I dont know. I just know I can run the aps that come in wine like notepad .etc but I cant get warlords online to run.

so from the terminal you run:
    Code:
    wine /home/user/.wine/drive_c/some/program/that/fails
    what does the output look like?

Just Joined!

wine slackware

It cant find the command u just typed

it was intended as an example. from the terminal type in wine and whatever program it is you are trying to run through the emulator. say hypothetically your programs name was windows-program.exe and it was located in /home/user1/programs/, the command you would run from the terminal would look like:

Code:
    wine /home/user1/programs/windows-program.exe
    In order to run wine, you have to point to the exe in question. So substitute my fake path with the actual path to your program.

actually ,wine almost always fails to run a program unless its executed in the directory of the exe

instead of say

wine /home/.wine/c/program\ files/program\ directory/program.exe

do

cd /home/.wine/c/program\ files/program\ directory
    wine program.exe

also ya, winecfg should be run beforehand at least to make shure all the setup stuff is done, also, not all programs work with wine, if you are trying a lot of major applications like games or say photoshop, it can take a lot of work to get them to work right.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

you can also try wine-doors, its like the point-and-click version of wine. however, when i used it a few years ago it was rather glitchy so i'm not exactly singing its praises or anything. but its worth some look for sure, especially since wine has gotten a tad more stable.

Wine doors