Find the answer to your Linux question:
trying to get rollercoaster tycoon running, everything looks like it might be good except rct is a 8bit game, and x isnt letting it go 8bit, i keep geting errors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

rollercoaster tycoon

trying to get rollercoaster tycoon running, everything looks like it might be good except rct is a 8bit game, and x isnt letting it go 8bit, i keep geting errors about the game not being allowed to change to 8 bit mode

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f7b8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
    fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x186a10,0x18774: stub

is the error messages after running the game. the game actualy "runs" its just basicaly unplayable because its colors are all uninterpretable.

i can run the x server in 8bit mode, if i tell xorg.cong defaultdepth to be 8 it opens in 8 bit, but the game still wont actualy run, it attempts to go fulllscreen and just hangs.

im wondering, if my videocard isnt capable of truely doing 8bit, i have a nvidia 8400 with the proprietary nvidia drivers and xorg 7.2 with a 1.35 server.

i use to run starcraft, also an 8bit game on older videocards, it ran just fine, i ran it on a 6600 i think and for shure a fx5300 and tnt2 all nvidia. but now, with the 8400 i wonder if they dont support 256 colors anymore, they compleatly redesigned the cards with the 8000 line and i htink they removed the 2d parts of the chips and instead use the 3d portion to kinda emulate 2d.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

It could be the video card, did you check inside of xorg.conf and see if that level of Bits per pixel is supported? You might also try messing around with the emulated desktop if you haven't all ready. That's how I got unreal tournament to run on my box.
    linux user # 503963

ya i let xorg.conf allow x to run in 8 bit mode, ive even booted the xserer in 8 bit mode. but, im just wondering if modern video card DRIVERS support 8bit mode. i know that older standard drivers can do it, i think like a simple vesa driver would be used for that.

im just wondering if i can expect my nvidia 8400 to run a 8bit program in a 32 bit environment with the proprietary nvidia drivers.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

well. just tried starcraft again, also a 640x480 8bit game. it will throw the same errors but will play just fine both windowed and fullscreen.

i found some stuff on WineHQ about it, you read anything there yet?
    WineHQ - Rollercoaster Tycoon

Nothing specific to your problem though .

There is also a patched version. It may or may not help you.

RollerCoaster TycoonŽ 2
    linux user # 503963

ok, i deleted the installed directory, so basicaly removed the game, then installed just the first game, not the expansion pack, that solved the messed up graphics problem. then i installed the patch(it changes the main executable some) and that would make the game playable. then i install the expansion pack (the loopylandscapes and corkscrew follies combo disk) and that is what will mess everything up it seems, its like it overwrites the existing exe and makes a new one, then the patch wont fix the new one (but already now if you try to run it the colors are all messed up) so i end up copying the original exe form the original disk and patch it, but still no fix.

as it stands now, what works is, install original game, then patch, then i can play. also if you copy over csg1i.dat and mp.dat from the cd's /data directory, you can play the game with no cd in drive.

i just gotta see what i can do about fullscreen mode and the expansion packs.