Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Anybody successfully installed wp8 (windows version) using wine? I'm trying to and it allows me to pick the install folder, gets to the point where it starts installing, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to install wordperfect 8 (windows) using wine??

Hi,
    Anybody successfully installed wp8 (windows version) using wine? I'm trying to and it allows me to pick the install folder, gets to the point where it starts installing, but then it throws up an error which says

Anybody know how to get around this problem? Its funny because the directory path c:\Corel\Suite8 does exist.

Thanks.
    Last edited by logical_guy; 03-03-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: correction in title..

Is that the path the WordPerfect installer is showing? In view of that, the actual path would more likely be ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Corel/Suite8
    Or:
    ~/.wine/drive_c/Corel/Suite8

Do you find a "Suite8" directory in either of these locations?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by logical_guy View Post
    Anybody successfully installed wp8 (windows version) using wine? I'm trying to and it allows me to pick the install folder, gets to the point where it starts installing, but then it throws up an error which says

Anybody know how to get around this problem? Its funny because the directory path c:\Corel\Suite8 does exist.
    I've never tried it, but it's being reported as having a "garbage" rating over at the WINE App Database so you might not have much luck with it:

WineHQ - WordPerfect 8
    oz

Just Joined!
    Well I've got WP8 installed on my PC in windows 7, so I duplicated its directory structure in my linux laptop under .wine/drive_c/Corel/Suite8, thinking the installer is having trouble with folder names which have spaces in them.

So,,,,, this time the installer goes up to 88% before it dies (with the same error), but I've noticed there are no files (AT ALL) in any of the folders.

So, I wonder what is going on?? Nearly all the files are named windows style, with spaces, so could this be an issue?

You could try copying the entire WordPerfect directory from Windows 7 over to .wine/c_drive/Program\ Files, then go in and find the executable (Seems I remember years ago it was wp.exe) and run it with wine... something like:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/Corel/Suite8 &&
    wine wp.exe
    A word about Wine if you don't already know: Wine isn't a magic bullet that will make all Windows apps run under Linux. Some apps will work very well, some moderately well with minor issues and others not at all. Often, installation gives a wealth of problems but after accomplished, the program works great. At other times, installation goes without a hitch and the app will completely refuse to run.

According to this from WineHQ, installation and execution of WP8 under wine procuduced inurmountable problems for this user. A quick check shows WP10 produced much better results under wine.
    Is there any reason OpenOffice isn't a sufficient word processor for you? There's also Gnome Office and Koffice among others that will run under Linux natively.

EDIT: Oops, ozar, only saw your response after I already posted.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-04-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here