Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Dell 968W wireless network printer. (It's actually made by Lexmark and is a X9575). This printer is Windows only. So my thought was, can I install it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Printing

I have a Dell 968W wireless network printer. (It's actually made by Lexmark and is a X9575). This printer is Windows only. So my thought was, can I install it in Wine and then be able to set it as my defalt Ubuntu (9.10) printer? So i popped in the setup CD, opened it with Wine. A few steps in a screen come up that says the minimum requirements are not met because of the CPU speed. It says that the processor speed is "4294967295 MHz (Requires 800MHz)". My system is 1.8GHz BTW.... So is there a way that I can make Wine show the correct processor speed? And if so, will this even work where I can install this printer and have it play nice with Ubuntu?
    Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'd run Windows in a VM and share the printer. Then Linux can access it easily enough. Anyway, are you sure you cannot access it from Linux (CUPS)? Lexmark is pretty good about supporting Linux with their hardware, as is Dell.

[a bit later]

Well, no luck w/ Dell, nor Lexmark for this device and Linux. Lexmark has OSX drivers, and 64-bit ones for Win7, but nothing for Linux. I think a Windows VM and sharing the printer is your best bet for this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!