Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a gamer, always have been, always will be, I love games, the more I have the better. I am also an avid windows user (ie: I suck at linux) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How good is wine for playing games

I'm a gamer, always have been, always will be, I love games, the more I have the better. I am also an avid windows user (ie: I suck at linux) but I would love to get away from windows and never look back. Which brings me to the point of my post,

How well does linux or more specifically wine and cedega, run games?
    How compatible are the majority of top end games, with linux?
    Will it take a bit of work to get most games working? (I'm no stranger to tinkering with settings for an hour just to run 1 damn application)
    Which distro runs the majority of games the best? (ie: which one runs it smoother, better graphically, faster, higher fps etc)
    Which distro is going to be best for my computer to run games on:
    MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3
    CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 245
    GPU: Radeon HD5770
    Will I be able to overclock my GPU on linux?

Please forgive me if these questions either seem noob or have been asked before.
    Thank you in advance for any help you give.

Hello and Welcome
    1. I have not had many problems with WINE at all, it seems to run fine for me on supported apps.
    2. Some games work flawlessly, right out of the box.
    3. Some games require tweaking, you won't be disappointed there.
    4. This mostly depends on your system and how well you set it up, most distros run about the same I would guess.
    5. Personal preference really, your system should be good enough
    6. You can always overclock your system, I think that is OS dependant.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi Vikeyev and welcome to the forums.

If you are that much into games then you should probably stay with Windows. Wine is not a magic application that allows all Windows games to be played on Linux. Performance of Windows games under wine can be anywhere from pretty well to not at all. For instance, I play StarCraft and Half-Life under Wine and both run satisfactory for me. See this screenshot. Other games though will have you pulling your hair out trying to get them installed and playable. For an informative database of which games will run under wine and how well, have a look here.

Edit: Mike beat me on the draw...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you both for your input, I think I will make the switch to linux after all. I have had a bit of a play around on it but I couldn't get the hang of it so I went back to windows. But I want to make a permanent transition away from windows, I'm sick of the inefficiency of everything, the constant virus scans, the constant tiny errors that can cause an entire system failure, the useless help the corporations that are happily taking my money give me and the fact that I always end up googling my problems or asking people for answers on forums. As long as I can play CSS, Half Life 2 and TF2 my clan will be happy. More importantly I like the community association that comes with linux as opposed to windows, so I think I will go with linux after all. Thank you again for your input.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome aboard!

My personal opinion is that Windows apps should be run under Windows, but plenty of Linux users install and make use of Wine. On the other hand, dual-boot systems work quite well giving users the best of both worlds. Best of luck to you with your venture into the world of Linux.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Vikeyev View Post
    As long as I can play CSS, Half Life 2 and TF2 my clan will be happy.
    Then you'll be in good shape. All those run very satisfactorily under wine as long as you have good gaming hardware. I haven't played TF in a good while since my broadband went from cable to DSL but when I was playing regularly a few years ago, my pings were much better under Linux with wine than under XP on the same machine! Don't know why that would be the case but it was. Good luck!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the informations, i'm planning to format and go to Linux Ubuntu,i was wondering this too.