Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello again guys, I finally managed to get steam working, installed a bunch of my games and NONE of them are working. They all do the exact same thing, if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Steam Games Won't Work

Hello again guys,

I finally managed to get steam working, installed a bunch of my games and NONE of them are working. They all do the exact same thing, if I start the game in fullscreen, it changes my screen resolution and leaves me on the desktop. In steam it says that I am in the game and I can't exit steam because it claims I have to exit the game first.

Just to get ANY game to show up I have to start the game in window mode, but even then, a few seconds into the game it crashes. I am unable to play any of my orange box games, MW2, CSS, L4D2, not even world of goo.

I made sure to set launch options to -dxlevel 80, on first launch, I even tried -dxlevel 71, 81 and none of them help, I tried switching to xp, vista, 7, win98, 2008 and none of them are helping at all. I have tried disabling sound, emulating a desktop (if I do the games don't even start up). I have searched google and this forum for troubleshooting tips and none of them are working.

I've tried changing my screen resolution, that doesn't fix the problem. I can't change any in game graphics options, otherwise it crashes immediately.

If I put -nointro into the launch options it doesn't even stop the intro vids. I have run winetricks, I even partially installed ie6.

This is the output I get from fglrxinfo command:
    Code:
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    OpenGL version string: 4.0.9901 Compatibility Profile Context
    So I'm pretty sure that's working without any problems, I installed that driver the hard way, if that makes a difference to it at all.

I have:
    GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon hd5770
    MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3
    CPU: AMD Athlon x2 245
    RAMM: 2gb corsair single channel

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. If you need any more info just holler.

Hi Vikeyev and welcome to the forums.

I understand your pain as I recently went through similar issues. For years I've run Steam, Half-Life and all it's mods without too many problems. Recently though, Steam has made some changes and upgrades which have made it to where my keyboard has become dead in all Steam games. I finally fixed the issue by going to windowed mode but there are still a few lingering problems.

Wine is to be congratulated on the fine job they have done over the years by giving Linux gamers a chance to plays these games because the makers won't port to Linux. Unfortunately, they cannot know what upgrades or updates game makers will make and how that might affect game play in Linux.

I wish I could give you specific solutions on how to solve the issues you are having but can't at this juncture. I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in your frustrations. The people at Wine work very hard to make Windows games compatible with Linux so I'm sure we won't have to wait too awfully long for them to get things straight for us under Steam.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I just don't understand why game developers, do linux users so badly. It's a great operating system, far better in my mind then windows. I spent more time attemping to get steam installed properly and starting up properly then I did debugging windows and learning what the stop errors meant and yet I still had far more fun doing these things on linux. For me this is an amazing thing and I do feel quite accomplished when I manage to get things working on this OS. On windows everything for me had become boring and menial, a pointless task that I had to spend hours restarting my pc testing single drivers to find that one out of a hundred just happened to be acting up. On linux I have the choice to go the easy route or the hard route, often times I will go the hard rounte just to get used to things and see what is actually happening on a more, detailed level.

I think game developers need to get on board and help out the coders of wine, give them something, a patch at the least, to help games run smoother and to help the coders create new and improved versions.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-27-2010 at 04:45 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close