Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've searched all over the internet on how to do this, but only found that people have been succesful in running the Steam version of Civilization IV on Wine, not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Civilization IV (Direct2Drive)

I've searched all over the internet on how to do this, but only found that people have been succesful in running the Steam version of Civilization IV on Wine, not the Direct2Drive.

So I did everything on this page:

itezer.com/blog/ubuntu-linux/140-Civilization-IV-on-Linux-with-Wine-1-1-16.html

Additionally, the Wine website ( appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10262 ) says to do this for the Direct2Drive version to work:

to get the d2d version to work you need to install the game on a windows machine first then copy these folders

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trymedia
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\drm

to your wine folder at

~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Application Data
    ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/

respectively
    So I installed the game on Windows XP and was able to find the Trymedia folder, but not the drm folder. Has anyone successfully run the Direct2Drive version of Civilization IV on Wine?

Hello and Welcome.
    I would try to create the drm folder in wine just to see if it would work or not.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your response!

I created the drm folder but it still doesn't work. It just shows Civ IV loading in the taskbar for a couple seconds then it goes away and nothing happens.

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried launching the game from the command line? Sometimes this will spit out an extra error or two.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Have you tried launching the game from the command line? Sometimes this will spit out an extra error or two.
    I tried going to the directory. This is the location of the game:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization/Civilization.exe

So I tried going to this directory through the terminal. And this showed up:
    >
    Windows prompt? I entered this when I was in the Firaxis Games directory:
    wine Sid\ Meier's\ Civilization/Civilization4.exe
    I get the same thing:
    >
    Any other suggestions?

Try using the tab key like this
    type in
    cd Sid (press tab)
    type the next few letters Me (press tab)
    Which version are you using? Click on the version numbers here and it should tell you a little about it. Sometimes trying the tricks suggested on the WineHQ forums will work.
    WineHQ - Sid Meier's Civilization IV

Just Joined!
    Yeah I already posted the link to WineHQ in the OP. I'm using the Direct2Drive version. I don't understand what you're saying about using tab.

Quote Originally Posted by zangderak View Post
    Yeah I already posted the link to WineHQ in the OP. I'm using the Direct2Drive version. I don't understand what you're saying about using tab.
    Check this link.
    Linux.com :: CLI Magic: Bash complete

Just Joined!
    Oh right! I forgot about auto complete. It's handy. I was able to run it with wine through the terminal and it gave these errors:

err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP71.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\BOOST_PYTHON-VC71-MT-1_32.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library BOOST_PYTHON-VC71-MT-1_32.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Civilization4.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP71.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\HAPDBG.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library HAPDBG.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Civilization4.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP71.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Civilization4.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Civilization4.exe" failed, status c0000135
    Looks like I'm missing dll's. Strange, I thought I'd only need msxml3.dll, msxml3r.dll, and d3dx9_36.dll. Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Anybody have any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast