Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm trying to help a Linux user run Bryce 7 PLE (the free Personal Learning Edition) in Wine, after having read that some people had success with a previous ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DAZ 3D - Bryce 7: success, anyone?

Hello,
    I'm trying to help a Linux user run Bryce 7 PLE (the free Personal Learning Edition) in Wine, after having read that some people had success with a previous Bryce version.

Downloading & installing went fine. For good measure, I also placed a copy of msvcp60.dll in Wine's Windows and System32 directories.

Unfortunately, it won't run at all. After the initial splash screen, a Windows error message "Out of memory" pops up; this is what the command line looks like:

Code:
    $ wine Bryce.exe
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bfbf8)
    fixme:appbar:handle_appbarmessage SHAppBarMessage(ABM_GETSTATE): stub
    fixme:appbar:handle_appbarmessage SHAppBarMessage(ABM_GETTASKBARPOS, hwnd=0x20028): stub
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bfcf0)
    fixme:appbar:handle_appbarmessage SHAppBarMessage(ABM_GETTASKBARPOS, hwnd=0x20028): stub
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bfa30)
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bf338)
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bf170)
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bf170)
    fixme:menu:GetMenuBarInfo (0x20028,0xfffffffd,0x00000000,0x11bf5a8)
    This is as far as I get. Now I want to help this guy to get this working, because it's the only Windows application that he really wants to keep using; for all the rest, he's as happy as a dog with two tails using Linux. So is there anyone out there who has got this running? And if so, how?

Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance & best regards,

Richard Rasker

Hi,
    Won't work.
    I checked both Winehq and CodeWeavers web sites and both places say that
    Bryce 7 will not work with either platform. Crashes or locks up wine.

Older versions like Bryce 5 and 5.5 will work but not have full functionality thus the silver rating.

What may be a better solution would be to install Windows in VirtualBox then install Bryce in Windows.

Years ago I used to use Bryce 5 on XP and from what I remember, there was no need for a high end video card. Rendering was dependent on DirectX which is now available in VirtualBox. In fact I had one computer using an old Nvidia TNT M64 AGP 2X video card and Bryce 5 worked on it! Rendering took forever because of the speedy 750 mhz AMD cpu.

Just Joined!
    OK, thanks for your reply. We'll have to see what to do next. The trouble is that this guy's machine is hardly capable of running W7, so perhaps we'll scrounge an old XP license from somewhere.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Richard Rasker