Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I have working IE6 and IE7 in Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 11.1, HTTP sites working OK, but I have problems with HTTP/SSL (HTTPS) sites. Has somebody solved this? In ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HTTP/SSL (HTTPS) sites not working in IE6/IE7 - advice request

Hello,

I have working IE6 and IE7 in Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 11.1, HTTP sites working OK, but I have problems with HTTP/SSL (HTTPS) sites. Has somebody solved this?

In *IE7*, sticking point is this screen:

"There is a problem with this website's security certificate. Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server. We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website. Click here to close this webpage. Continue to this website (not recommended). More information"

After clicking to "Continue to this website", the same screen reloades and it is cycling again and again, after each "Continue ...". I imported certificate to various tabs of Tools > Internet Options > Content > Certificates, but it had no effect on this behaviour. Also topic 7314 of forum at winehq.org was not helpful.

In *IE6*, sticking point is this security warning dialog:

"There is a problem with the certificate for this site. There is at least one unspecified security problem with this certificate. Do you want to continue anyway?" Yes / No

After many repeated Yes-clicks, the site loades slowly, but then whole IE crashes and is restarted. I imported certificate to various tabs of "wine control" > Internet Settings > Content > Certificates..., but it had no effect on this behaviour.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jano Ostrochovsky

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

The only versions of Internet Explorer reportedly known to work without problems under WINE are versions 1.0, 1.5, and 3.01, so I'm not sure that you can use versions 6 or 7 without encountering issues:

WineHQ - Internet Explorer

If there is anyone using them without problems maybe they'll see your thread and chime in with some tips for you. Good luck with it.
    oz

You are running IE on a linux via wine?

Testing your websites with this setup proves nothing. No regular webuser has this setup.
    I would suggest to test IEs on their natural operating system.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    You are running IE on a linux via wine?

Testing your websites with this setup proves nothing. No regular webuser has this setup.
    I would suggest to test IEs on their natural operating system.
    Yea, IE via wine. It is not only for testing, I am searching temporary workaround for several IE-designed web applications for time period, during that these apps will be reworked to function properly also under Firefox at Linux.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxak View Post
    Yea, IE via wine. It is not only for testing, I am searching temporary workaround for several IE-designed web applications for time period, during that these apps will be reworked to function properly also under Firefox at Linux.
    Then you should first get a permission from Bill Gates.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When I HAVE to use IE, I run it in a Windows XP virtual machine under CentOS 5.5 or Scientific Linux (RHEL) 6. I think that the version of IE that comes with Wine currently is IE 5. I haven't tried it with SSL-enabled sites, but in theory it should work. What does winehq say?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Good to hear about your project dealing with workarounds.
    Tired of websites and web apps thinking that Windows has no alternatives!

I assume you have loaded winetricks to get IE6 loaded and running?
    If not take a run over there and grab the download for your Linux distro.

Also, what version of wine are you using and is this a new install?
    I have heard that the recent upgrade to wine 1.3 from ver. 1.2 has been causing
    IE to not function properly or not function at all.

If you are using wine 1.3 try uninstalling it and grab an older version like 1.2 then grab the proper winetricks script for that version.

BTW..... Supposedly winetricks will allow you to use IE6, IE7 and IE8 but not sure how well the newer versions work.

Good luck on your project!

Just Joined!
    TaZMAniac, thanks, my version installed from .rpm for SLED 11.1 is:
    wine --version
    wine-1.3.11
    and yes, I installed IE6 using winetricks
    how could I downgrade wine on SLED? uninstall wine-1.3.11 rpm and compile older 1.2 version from the source?

Rubberman, virtualized Windows is not suitable solution, because we need this temporary workaround for 3500 desktops, which will have Windows XP replaced with Linux

dE_logics, I have that permission

ozar, the oldest version of IE which can I at least partially use is 5.5, but newer = better

Just Joined!
    There is also concurrent thread with additional info on this issue at winehq forum.

how could I downgrade wine on SLED? uninstall wine-1.3.11 rpm and compile older 1.2 version from the source?
    Yes. Uninstall 1.3.11 and install 1.2
    Not saying it will work 100% but from the bug reports showing up for 1.3 it sounds like there was a regression to an old bug.

If you downgrade and still have problems let me know and when I get a chance I will install IE in wine on my end and see how it works as I'm still on 1.2.2
    I'm not using SLED. Using Ubuntu so it may be interesting to see if wine reacts differently on different hosts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast