Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have Mafia and used the loki installer to install it on my linux computer. install works great but when i try to run it it says it doesnt like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mafia

i have Mafia and used the loki installer to install it on my linux computer. install works great but when i try to run it it says it doesnt like a debugger it sees and wont work. ok, ive read something explaining why i get thiese messages with certian things so in understand this. so i look at the readme for the loki installer and it said i WILL need wineX 3.0. so my question is how do i get winex 3.0? ive seen threads about it before and they have said that you can get it for free and give a link but the link just takes you to transgamings website where i cant find a download for it. is it not legal to get winex 3.0 for free or am i just not looking hard enough?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Enthusiast
    Last I checked, Transgaming only provides WineX free through CVS. Pre-packaged copies and the Point2Play package require a subscription. Other than that, I don't know.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Engineer
    You can get the latest WineX/Cedega from here

http://transgaming.org/cvs/

But I don't know if they have WineX 3
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The latest version of Cedega (formerly WineX) is 4.1.1. That's probably what's available on the CVS site, minus the copy protection algorithms of course.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

wow, thanks ...... whats cvs?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    wow, thanks ...... whats cvs?
    Chris H provided the link in the post above. CVS is a system for managing source code on a software project in progress. Transgaming lets you download and compile their "in-progress" source code free of charge, provided you can get it to work. The ability to work with copy-protected CDs is a patent issue, so obviously they can only offer that in their paid product.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

what makes it such a pattent issue? are they using someone elses coad that is used commonly for cd protection? is windows using it?

what makes it such a pattent issue? are they using someone elses coad that is used commonly for cd protection? is windows using it?
    It's a patent issue because different copy protection algorithms (such as SecuROM and SafeDisc) are copyrighted, and any decoding software is also copyrighted. Cedega can't just give information like that away.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

is that because they had to pay for it or is it a leagal problem

is that because they had to pay for it or is it a leagal problem
    I *believe* (though I'm not actually sure) that Transgaming did pay for the right to decode the copy-protected CDROMs, and that's the reason they don't give that out, because of license agreements with the makers of SecuROM, SafeDisc, etc.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast