Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thanks for all the input!! BUT TO CLEAR THINGS UP I am a die hard fan of Linux and do everything that I would with MS on a daily basis ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins

Thanks for all the input!!

BUT TO CLEAR THINGS UP
    I am a die hard fan of Linux and do everything that I would with MS on a daily basis with Linux. I do use the OpenOffice like you stated also. There is nothing really that I can't do on Linux. EXCEPT use AutoCAD and ArchiCAD. This is the WHOLE reason I started this thread. I wasn't going to go into detail about what I was using it for, simply because I just wanted to know my basic "first stated" question.

And yes like one of you said, it is hard to come up with either a disc or a serial for some programs I installed on MS let's say 3 years ago, with no trace of anything but the program on my HDD. Thats why I was asking. But can you even install cracked/patched programs on Wine, KIDDING....am I?

I understand what WINE does and "sorta" how it works. But this isn't the case. AND I also understand what VirtualBox does along with its competitor VMware. Which I have installed, and ready to start installing other Linux distros to play around with. I guess I could simply boot up the virtualization programs and open up a totally different OS and then begin the work I was trying to do but that would doing a lot if I'm just trying to do certain things. And especially if I have to download CAD extensions, extra files, yadda yadda. That would just be too much hassle I believe doing all on an "emulator" per se.

I'm not the guy thats going to sit here and argue why Linux is better, or MS is better, by no means. I have my side, and well... your obviously on it too

Anyways, back to my original reason for wanting to use WINE.
    I have some work that needs to be done with a CAD program. Research (google) has shown me that there is no comparison AT ALL with any other CAD programs to AuoCAD or ArchiCAD. Also, I have a few years of college knowledge and experience with these programs that I would rather not try and learn a new software, for the only reason that I am "steering clear" of MS. This is not the case, at all. I have my preference, but that don't mean I won't use it. It's like preferring ice cream over cake, but if all I got is cake, well better damn believe I'm gonna eat it if theres no ice cream (AmIRight?) Getting off topic again . OK. So with that being said, I have to use these programs regardless of the circumstances. And these are my options:
    1) Dual boot your system. You'll have an application running natively in the environment is was written for.
    2) Wine. Allows you to run Windows applications in a Linux environment by referencing Windows API's. Works pretty well for most programs.
    3) A virtual machine, as suggested by HalluxSinister. But, depending on the program, this may not be the best choice. Virtual machines can be less efficient than a real machine when accessing hardware indirectly. This can cause a slowdown on execution, performance, and such. If you have a computer running with some horsepower, though, this will be less of an issue.
    Number 1 is the obvious, which most likely I will have to do, no matter how frowned upon it is by [place name here]. Number 2 will work for a lot of programs, but AutoCAD and ArchiCAD are not ones that work, or even if they do, they SUCK tremendously bad on it, so the tests and results show. Google it, if you'd like Number 3 is a very good idea, but also like jayd said, the performance would be an issue I would imagine. I dont need the whole OS, I just want the program.

But to make you happy HalluxSinister, I havent booted up Window$7, well, since a few hours ago. BUT before that it's been weeks. The only reason I do boot it up, honestly, is to get files from that HDD. I know I can access this HDD from ubuntu, but, well, lets say I had some serious security on my MS. Almost all my files on the HDD are encrypted. So basically anything I pull up from that HDD isn't accessible. Yes, it sucks from time to time. This is the ONLY reason I ever move the toggle on Grub, to another OS.

But, looks like it's going to be gettin some use here soon ......
    This is why I asked :P

SunshineFolk

Just Joined!
    sunshinefolk,
    I run a few windows games and a Graphics program that must have windows and the best way to get around that issue is to search Google for vbox. Download the version for your distro and install it. Then create a new virtual drive and install windows there. The version from Virtualbox.org is newer than the version in your systemś repository and is much better suited to your purposes.

Just Joined!

WINE, the acronym

user-f11... I've been meaning to ask someone this...

Can you tell me the difference between a "compatibility layer" and an emulator? Oh, and since Windows Emulator (Wine) recreates more or less the ENTIRE Windows environment, libraries, registry, virtual disks, a desktop, a file manager, even the phucking stupid little Mine game and Wordpad... and with all that, how is it NOT an emulator? It emulates, period. The real reason they try to get people to think it's NOT an emulator, (which of course it is) is so they can pretend that silly "backronym" they love so much, "Wine is Not an Emulator" is what "WINE" actually stands for, and indeed has always stood for. (The reason they think it's funny seems to be that the full expansion of the pseudo-acronym is WINEWINEWINEWINEWINEWINEINEWINE... and it hilariously fails to get past it's own name. Hahah. Yeah, hell-arious.

<Sigh.>

Well, why pick the letter W, if it's not (as it obviously is, in fact,) for Windows?!? It's just like all those people who claim PINE stands for Pine Is Not Elm, (actually, it's Program for Internet News and E-mail). If the "ine" in "Wine" is "Is Not an Emulator", then they could JUST AS EASILY have called it:

BINE, (Bine Is Not an Emulator)
    CINE, (Cine Is Not an Emulator)
    DINE, (Dine Is Not an Emulator, but a fancy word for "eat")
    EINE, (Eine Is Not an Emulator, which would give it a German flavor)
    FINE, (Fine Is Not an Emulator, it's a... fine... name for one)
    GYNE, (Gyne Ys Not an Emulator: the "Compatability Layer for Girls")
    HINE, (Hine Is Not an Emulator, but a back-end for GYNE)
    IINE, (Iine Is Not an Emulator, but an incredibly confusing acronym... is that a Roman Numeral "2"?)
    JINE, (Jine Is Not an Emulator, nor the month after Miy)
    KINE, (Kine Is Not an Emulator, so be Kine, Rewine)
    LINE, (Line Is Not an Emulator, it's a... a... LINE?)
    MINE, (Mine Is Not an Emulator, also it is not Yours)
    NINE, (Nine Is Not an Emulator, it's a number)
    OINE, (Oine Is Not an Emulator, it's what a pig who has soft-palate difficulties says)
    PINE, (Pine Is Not an Emulator, nor is it Elm, by the way)
    QINE, (Qine Is Not an Emulator, but "Queen" badly misspelled)
    RINE, (Rine Is Not an Emulator, it's a river in Germany)
    SINE, (Sine Is Not an Emulator, it's in the middle-east)

etc. ad nauseum.

They picked the W because it IS a WINDOWS *** FRICKING *** EMULATOR. Period. Full stop.

Sorry, not trying to start a conteste du'flame, but this "backronym" bull's hit is one of my biggest pet-peeves with the Linux community. I always picture a pimple-faced 35-year old virgin snickering behind his pallid, scrawny hand saying "Wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, tee hee hee <snort>" while sitting in his parent's basement, surrounded by D&D crap, Star Trek crap, and the obligatory Princess Leiha (or however it's spelled, I don't care enough to look it up) as a slut-whore sitting in Java the Butt's lap - poster. In short, geeks, and I use that term in the older, pejorative, biting the head off a chicken at a circus-sense.

Before anyone comes back with "well, I know the guys who developed Wine personally, and THEY said..." let me ask you this: is a 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch drive socket wrench adapter a "Medium-Sized Drive Ratchet Wrench Compatability Layer?" Is a diplomatic interpreter an "International Multilingual Communications Compatibility Layer"? Is a toilet seat a "Septic Sewer System Interface Device Compatibility Layer?" (Or is the toilet itself the "Compatibility Layer"?)

Is a mechanical pencil a "Hand to 0.5 (or whatever) mm Graphite Stick Compatibility Layer?" Is the spinal cord a "Brain to Extremities Compatibility Layer"

Is a spoon a "Breakfast Cereal Bowl Compatibility Layer"?

Anyway, Wine or WINE or wInE is, whether or not anyone likes it, a Windows Emulator because that's what it does: it emulates Windows. I wish it weren't necessary, but such is the evil of Misro$oft that despite having pretty much always had the INFERIOR OS, GUI/windowing system, etc., and despite having a reputation for treating customers like criminals, (much the way the MafiAA and RafiAA do) many developers still code principally, if not exclusively for M$ WinDOS "OS" based PC computers, (or for the almost-as-bad-alternative from Apple).

That ALL said, I am glad Wine exists, because there are times when I am essentially forced to use software available ONLY on/for WinDOS, and I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO BOOT INTO... ugh... WinDOS.

(I know some people think hating Misro$oft is passe, and that Linux and Apple have marginalized them, but I think that's just because some people are better at forgetting the irreperable harm Misro$oft basically got away with having done to the entire software industry, literally for decades, through unethical, often downright illegal means.)

So what have we learend today? I hate Misro$oft, and... what else was I going on about? I forget.
    Last edited by HalluxSinister; 06-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Just Joined!
    Your use or not of Windows7 doesn't really affect me, I can only say I will be happy *for you* if you free yourself from the clutches... but anyway, a suggestion: why not log-in, decrypt/copy the files either to another disc, or back them to CD, and then have them available without having to jump through hoops?

I have an expression I like to use for instances like this, it sounds like it might apply here: being defeated by your own technology. If you did something that's causing you problems doing what you *now* want to do, why not undo it by, as I said, decrypting the files and moving them?

Is the drive itself encrypted? If it's just the files, you should be able to decrypt them, put copies in a directory, you might call it "decrypted stuff" and then open the disc (again, if it wasn't encrypted... utilities that come with most Linux distros have the ability to read nearly a hundred different kinds of drives/filessytems, unlike certain... other OS's I could mention) in Ubuntu, or whatever, and do what you need to do?

I don't really worry about what other people do with their computers, honestly, I just wish enough of them used FLOSS instead of MisroWretchWare so that dev's and programers would actually write native Linux code, so I don't myself have to do this same dance, where I have an old retired laptop that I kept Misro'ble just in case I had to boot into that for some reason. I feel I shouldn't HAVE to do that (no one should) but I keep it anyway, in case I get some file or software that REFUSES to display, or run, or work or whatever, without M$WinDOS.

I tried a Mac once, by the way, it's not like I didn't give the Cult a chance... but I found within about 10 minutes of booting that it had all the petty annoyances that I've hated about Linux systems, and no real advantage, for hundreds more than I would pay for a "PC", so I told them "no, thanks" and bought a PC, and installed Linux on it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineFolk View Post
    I'm new to the whole "Wine" program, so don't laugh at this

Basically, I'm wondering after installing Wine and setting it up, can you run a program that is already installed on your Windows partition??

I realize you can just install it through wine and go from there, but if I already have it installed on Windows, I'd rather not install a program again (obviously).

I've searched and searched for an answer but some say yes, some say no. And ALL the answers I get to this question in search are outdated by like 2 and 4 years. So I would imagine Wine has came a long way since then (hoping). I couldn't even find the answer on the Wine website, and even their tutorials are outdated (but I'd imagine they still work tho).

Please shed some light on this question for me, please!

SunshineFolk
    yes you need to install same application on linux using wine..

but anyway, a suggestion: why not log-in, decrypt/copy the files either to another disc, or back them to CD, and then have them available without having to jump through hoops?
    Well, yeh, I could do that I suppose. I just never thought I would be going back to the spots that ARE encrypted to get certain files. But then, at the least expecting time, I realize OOPS gotta go back to the other OS to get that file. And no it's not my whole HDD, its mainly certain folders. AND some random azz files that I encrypted, then moved elsewhere. Only to find out when I try to open it on ubuntu, "Welp, that ones encrytped".

I bet your going to say just back them all up, so there definitely wouldn't be this problem. But I've got wayyy to much stuff to backup that I would almost never need. Basically, earlier when I got on there, I did get all the stuff that I thought I would EVER need to access later whether I will or not, it's questionable. We will see though.

BINE, (Bine Is Not an Emulator)
    CINE, (Cine Is Not an Emulator)
    DINE, (Dine Is Not an Emulator, but a fancy word for "eat")
    EINE, (Eine Is Not an Emulator, which would give it a German flavor)
    FINE, (Fine Is Not an Emulator, it's a... fine... name for one)
    GYNE, (Gyne Ys Not an Emulator: the "Compatability Layer for Girls")
    HINE, (Hine Is Not an Emulator, but a back-end for GYNE)
    IINE, (Iine Is Not an Emulator, but an incredibly confusing acronym... is that a Roman Numeral "2"?)
    JINE, (Jine Is Not an Emulator, nor the month after Miy)
    KINE, (Kine Is Not an Emulator, so be Kine, Rewine)
    LINE, (Line Is Not an Emulator, it's a... a... LINE?)
    MINE, (Mine Is Not an Emulator, also it is not Yours)
    NINE, (Nine Is Not an Emulator, it's a number)
    OINE, (Oine Is Not an Emulator, it's what a pig who has soft-palate difficulties says)
    PINE, (Pine Is Not an Emulator, nor is it Elm, by the way)
    QINE, (Qine Is Not an Emulator, but "Queen" badly misspelled)
    RINE, (Rine Is Not an Emulator, it's a river in Germany)
    SINE, (Sine Is Not an Emulator, it's in the middle-east)
    But that ^^, made me laugh really REALLY hard. I could care less what Wine is tho really, emulator shmemulator. I know what it's used for, and thats all it matters to me. Anyways, I'll just do what I need to do to get these CAD drawings done. And leave my solutions off this thread

And vishal
    yes you need to install same application on linux using wine..
    Yeh, we've been discussing this if you haven't been reading but thanks for trying to help. Glad to see people around here giving answers and solutions rather than having a thread sit empty..........Forever!

SunshineFolk

Thumbs down Can we say.. monopoly?

....but i think that's just because some people are better at forgetting the irreperable harm misro$oft basically got away with having done to the entire software industry, literally for decades, through unethical, often downright illegal means.)
    Agreed....

Just Joined!

Wine

Please excuse the probably stupid question, but have you actually tried to run the
    program under WINE ?
    I have had some success with various programs by navigating to my Windows partition, then to the program exe, then right click (in Nautilus) and select Open with WINE.
    Also, I have 4 Windows programs that I use all of the time. For these, I copied the
    entire program folder to a folder in my HOME, then added an icon to my panel with
    the property wine "/Path to exe/exe name"
    It may work, it may not, but it could be worth a try.

RE: AutoCAD

If you use AutoCAD for mechanical engineering, there is VariCAD under linux with a license, which is at least 10 times cheaper, and VariCAD opens .DWG and .DXF files for sure. It works directly under linix - without any 'wine or cognac'.
    You may try to see whether VariCAD will work on your linux distro by downloading from the net the VariCAD Viewer (which is free).

Talking

Please excuse the probably stupid question, but have you actually tried to run the
    program under WINE ?
    I have had some success with various programs by navigating to my Windows partition, then to the program exe, then right click (in Nautilus) and select Open with WINE.
    Also, I have 4 Windows programs that I use all of the time. For these, I copied the
    entire program folder to a folder in my HOME, then added an icon to my panel with
    the property wine "/Path to exe/exe name"
    It may work, it may not, but it could be worth a try.
    Thank you thank you! I will give this a shot to save me the boot time on MS .........waiting............

I read something about doing this! It will definitely be something worth trying. I haven't tried it actually though. I don't even have the program, thats why I started this thread to actually see if it would work, cause otherwise I really don't need it

There isn't anything that I need to run that don't work with Linux, or have a Linux alternative. Well, except AutoCAD software, which is what I need to run, but I will give this a try! Thanks!

SunshineFolk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast