Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Okay, guys... these are my last two cents until next Friday, unless I go hit an ATM... Here's a crazy idea... why not just use the software you want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Okay, guys... these are my last two cents until next Friday, unless I go hit an ATM...

Here's a crazy idea... why not just use the software you want to use that requires WinDOS under WinDOS, and use a different computer running Linux for everything else? I know it may seem crazy at first, like a single guy owning two different automobiles, but if one is the nice, fancy, roomy, comfortable one that smells nice, which he uses for entertaining potential clients and light grocery shopping, and the other is the old, beat-up pickup truck that he uses to haul his ATV or his fishing boat trailer around, that is covered in mud and has holes rusting through the floor-boards...

Well, your computer with Windows would be more like the truck, old, slow, less efficient and not something you want your peers to know you drive, except on weekends when you take the boat out and go fishing, because you DON'T want your nice Mercedes (that again, is your Linux machine) to smell like mud, fish, cigars, cheap hookers, and beer, when you're meeting the CEO of that start-up you're trying to hook as a client, when you take them out to that fancy-shmantsy French restaurant you know has the *really* cute and friendly waitresses.

If having two completely separate computers would take too much space, or cost too much money for you, maybe you're (if I may say so, I think) addressing the wrong side of the problem. Yes, you should be able to run whatever in WINE without reinstalling it, as long as you are able, (and I think I wrote this at least once before) to copy every single file, registry entry, etc., right where it needs to go for WINE to see it, just the same as if it had been used for installing that copy of the software itself, after the usual fashion.

It would be like a brain transplant. Is it possible? Of course. All you have to do is open two skulls in close proximity*, which is easy for modern western medical science... sever every nerve and blood vessel leading to each brain, swap them before either dies, (which at normal body temp, and without some kind of drug/substance being in the blood to prevent it, starts happening within seconds to minutes of cutting-off blood flow... might want to chill those bodies first!) and manage to reattach, at or near the microscopic level, EACH AND EVERY ONE of, oh... about 100,000+ nerve fibers, so that the respective host-bodies don't ALSO die... for want of brain command and control, which is of course, as any mad-scientist will tell you, the trickier part.

Copying your program over to your Linux computer and getting it to run under WINE, (if, of course, WINE will actually run that program which is by no means guaranteed... WINE is good, but perfect? Please... that is in fact a BIG "IF") is almost easy by comparison.

Just don't forget the anti-rejection drugs.

Again, it might be easier just to maintain two separate computers, much the way a person keeps separate cars, as I've said above, or separate homes, (a regular one, and a "summer home") or separate SO's, (one is dependable and does the cooking and cleaning, and also raises his kids... the other is... HOT!) etc.

Good luck though, however you go!

~Hal

RE: 'why not just use the software you want to use that requires WinDOS under WinDOS'

I have the very same question to the original publisher of the post. The computers are universal machines ... BUT they are not so much universal as we often want them to be.

One and the same computer could hardly be used at one and the same time for Desktop Publishing (attached to offset printing machine), Engineering CAD Workstation (attached to A0 plotter), Forex Trade Station (attached to stock exchange databases), Expert System Intra-Corporate Server (servicing a team, working on a project), Digital Theater Sound Music Composer, etc.

Further, what is the point of installing Windows software under Linux? In any case it won't run faster than under Windows on that machine. BTW you can try to see this.

RE: The CAD programs
    If you want to run CAD programs under linux there are: QCAD, VariCAD, VLSI CAD (java based), xCirrcuit (for design of electronic circuits), etc. ... but they are not free, and so is AutoCAD.

If you want a free CAD system, you may get the source code of some old version of CAD software, acquire permission to make changes and develop your own CAD compilation ... and provide it for free distribution and use on the net.
    Last edited by user-f11; 06-10-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: style mistake

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    Okay, guys... these are my last two cents until next Friday, unless I go hit an ATM...

Here's a crazy idea... why not just use the software you want to use that requires WinDOS under WinDOS, and use a different computer running Linux for everything else? I know it may seem crazy at first, like a single guy owning two different automobiles, but if one is the nice, fancy, roomy, comfortable one that smells nice, which he uses for entertaining potential clients and light grocery shopping, and the other is the old, beat-up pickup truck that he uses to haul his ATV or his fishing boat trailer around, that is covered in mud and has holes rusting through the floor-boards...

Well, your computer with Windows would be more like the truck, old, slow, less efficient and not something you want your peers to know you drive, except on weekends when you take the boat out and go fishing, because you DON'T want your nice Mercedes (that again, is your Linux machine) to smell like mud, fish, cigars, cheap hookers, and beer, when you're meeting the CEO of that start-up you're trying to hook as a client, when you take them out to that fancy-shmantsy French restaurant you know has the *really* cute and friendly waitresses.

If having two completely separate computers would take too much space, or cost too much money for you, maybe you're (if I may say so, I think) addressing the wrong side of the problem. Yes, you should be able to run whatever in WINE without reinstalling it, as long as you are able, (and I think I wrote this at least once before) to copy every single file, registry entry, etc., right where it needs to go for WINE to see it, just the same as if it had been used for installing that copy of the software itself, after the usual fashion.

It would be like a brain transplant. Is it possible? Of course. All you have to do is open two skulls in close proximity*, which is easy for modern western medical science... sever every nerve and blood vessel leading to each brain, swap them before either dies, (which at normal body temp, and without some kind of drug/substance being in the blood to prevent it, starts happening within seconds to minutes of cutting-off blood flow... might want to chill those bodies first!) and manage to reattach, at or near the microscopic level, EACH AND EVERY ONE of, oh... about 100,000+ nerve fibers, so that the respective host-bodies don't ALSO die... for want of brain command and control, which is of course, as any mad-scientist will tell you, the trickier part.

Copying your program over to your Linux computer and getting it to run under WINE, (if, of course, WINE will actually run that program which is by no means guaranteed... WINE is good, but perfect? Please... that is in fact a BIG "IF") is almost easy by comparison.

Just don't forget the anti-rejection drugs.

Again, it might be easier just to maintain two separate computers, much the way a person keeps separate cars, as I've said above, or separate homes, (a regular one, and a "summer home") or separate SO's, (one is dependable and does the cooking and cleaning, and also raises his kids... the other is... HOT!) etc.

Good luck though, however you go!
    LOVE IT. Yes this is what I've been doing actually. Like I was saying, ArchiCAD is what I am using in window$, and there isn't anything Linux related that even comes close to it. I haven't actually purchased the Linux versions that cost money, but I have did a lot of research on them and nothing is close. Yeh, maybe related to AutoCAD but ArchiCAD is wayyy different when it comes to the architecture side of things. And with all my education from college being taught in the Autodesk side of things, I would just like to keep my knowledge in them programs instead of fighting with new software just to learn them. Yeh it is cool learning new things, but this isnt my profession as of yet so I'm just going to dual-boot haha. But seriously, thanks for all of the help guys! Atleast the ones that were helping anyways

I would mark this thread [SOLVED], but this new layout LF has has kind of taken away my ability to do that within 'thread tools' so I can't seem to locate it, if it actually hiding on me. I don't know!! Thanks again guys!
    SunshineFolk

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, and don't break it if you can't fix it.
    127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1...
    When you see pigs fly it means Window$ has become open source.

RE: ...'instead of fighting with new software just to learn them'
    If you have enough money to spend and can achieve good rate of return on these, good.
    BTW there are standard (wood, and about architectural I don't know) ornaments, of Adobe that can be used even in Word format documents. There are also A4 and A3 standard specifications and drawing templates on the Web.

As about the linux CAD programs - it is logical that things that are free could hardly outperform or even get closer to things that are commercially distributed for money.

See also the site of Adobe - they have good vector design software environments that could be used even for architectural ornaments, with 3D simulations, etc.

Just Joined!

Since you mentioned VirtualBox

There is also Qemu-KVM (KVM stands for Kernel Virtual Machine) which does the same thing.

THis is the big buzz: virtualization. Yes it works better than wine. The only thing I've made work with wine is IE4Linux, and the arrow dissappeared when it was idle until I right-clicked or clicked. Now to use IE I just run my owned Windows 2000 Professional on VirtualBox and everything else I stay with my Linux programs.

RE: 'The only thing I've made work with wine is IE4Linux'

The browsers are the least problem. There are Web browsers developed especially for Linux platforms (like for example Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) that have no problems to work under Linux. Actually Google Chrome works on a virtual machine, which is not even on your computer.
    The virtual machines are not entirely bad solution, but in my view the problem is a little bit different. All software under Windows is licensed and if it is not explicitely provided for open source use 'this software does not exist to the linux world'. WINE is developed for newbies that cannot get accustomed to linux packages. There is no logical reason to use WINE programs after working 10 years (for example) under linux.
    Everybody should decide for himself whether he will be a man with dignity and to participate in the development of software and use software for free, or whether he prefers the status-quo of M$.
    All those old 'visious practices' with Window$ software that a lot of people are accustomed to, I don't dare even to comment (starting with breaching licenses and distributing viruses, going through malware, and ending up with spyware).

Linux Newbie
    Virtulization has major issues with CPU intensive and memory hogging programs (like Windows 7).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5