Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've heard from several very advanced Linux-folk that all distros run wine equally, but my personal experience has certainly not supported it. I found it to work much better on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for Wine

I've heard from several very advanced Linux-folk that all distros run wine equally, but my personal experience has certainly not supported it. I found it to work much better on Ubuntu than Fedora (which is a shame, because I like fedora a whole lot more). Is it that I am missing newer versions of certain components (notably, Fedora+wine keeps telling me the Gecko isn't installed, although it most certainly is and most of the time fedora+wine agrees with me that it is)? Or are some distros actually better at running the Wine?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Not all distros can run the latest version of Wine, so you might want to use one that does. The latest stable release is 1.2.3, which RHEL 6 and clones like Scientific Linux (SL) 6 can run. The latest development version is 1.3.23, which I haven't tried on my SL6 system. Current versions of Ubuntu probably run 1.2.3 by default, but you can download and try the 1.3.x version to see how well it works. In any case, 1.2.3 works well on my SL6 system, though I don't use it to run games.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Part of the problem is I'm trying to ressurect a laptop that had Vista on a bad drive. I'm using a faster drive now (7200 instead of 54), and no other changes. It could run older games circa 1998-2004 fine before, but now it can't do any games at an acceptable speed. The fastest one is going at, no exageration, one FPS in Fedora and maybe 3 FPS in Ubuntu.

Make sure you have the correct video drivers installed and that you can run the glxgears command.
    Code:
    glxgears
    Running Windows games in Wine/Linux is going to be slower than running them natively, there's just no way around that.

As for Fedora telling you that Gecko is not installed when in fact it is, it probably wants a package that belongs to Gecko, like Gecko libraries or development packages...you should do a search in the package manager looking for anything Gecko related, especially libs and dev packages.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What are the system specs (CPU+speed, RAM), and what is the video hardware?

In any case, you want as thin a distribution as possible, along with a light weight desktop manager. Ubuntu is not so light weight, although you can get xubuntu that uses the xfce window manager - much lower footprint than Gnome or KDE.

Just Joined!
    It's an HP laptop. 3GB DDR2 ram, 2.55GHz Core 2 Duo, 256MB Nvidia 8400 w/native res of 1280 x 800. HD is a brand new 500+4 GB HDD/SSD hybrid. This machine should be able to run CoD and Warcraft III at more than one FPS! I'm using Fedora with the LXDE, which doesn't seem to have a way to do anything advanced...I can't even change the screen brightness, or use the echo command to write to the file that changes it, let alone change drivers. Ubuntu seems to work a bit better, but I don't like it.

This is a decent setup. This should run 64-bit or 32-bit code fairly snappily. I'm surprised that you are only getting 1fps out of this - assuming you are running the proprietary nVidia drivers. If you aren't, then I'm not surprised that it is so sluggish.

Just Joined!
    Hm...that might explain it. When I saw that it booted into native resolution and 32-bit color, I guess I assumed that it came with drivers, especially for an older chipset. Actually, considering that everything still worked (and it even restored the long-lost functionality of my fingerprint reader) that it already had drivers embedded. I'll check it out.

Just Joined!
    Alright, I've downloaded the driver, but I'm having a hard time making it install. It says it needs the kernel source, which I've downloaded. Kind of. I've downloaded and installed the kernel-devel package because I read that was all that was necessary (making sure it's precisely matched to my kernel), and it still says it doesn't have it. WHat gives?

You also may need to install the kernel-headers package. You do need the kernel-devel package, but not the kernel sources (usually).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast