Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running 64-bit KUbuntu, and I currently have wine 1.3.21 on my machine. I understand that version 1.3.24 is available, but when I try to upgrade, I am told ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting the latest wine

I am running 64-bit KUbuntu, and I currently have wine 1.3.21 on my machine. I understand that version 1.3.24 is available, but when I try to upgrade, I am told I already have the latest version.

When I originally installed 1.3, I used the instructions from the wine download page (I can't post the actual URL - still too new to be trusted!)

Is there simply a delay in providing 64-bit versions of the software, or am I doing something wrong?

David

Hello and Welcome.
    To get the very latest you will probably need to go to the WINE website and download it and then install it from source.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

You can add the ppa to the repository list so you get the latest version of wine.
    Follow the instructions here;

WineHQ - Installing the latest Wine on Ubuntu

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBailey View Post
    I am running 64-bit KUbuntu, and I currently have wine 1.3.21 on my machine. I understand that version 1.3.24 is available, but when I try to upgrade, I am told I already have the latest version.

When I originally installed 1.3, I used the instructions from the wine download page (I can't post the actual URL - still too new to be trusted!)

Is there simply a delay in providing 64-bit versions of the software, or am I doing something wrong?

David
    The standard repositories hold the current stable version. Newer versions won't make it into the repositories until they have been tested for some period of time. How long depends upon the development group, bug reports, and such. So, if you want to get the latest and "greatest" version of anything, you need to download and install/update it manually.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I had already attached the ppa to my repository list, in order to obtain 1.3.21. This seems to work better with Mathematica 7 than 1.2, so I thought it was worth exploring the most up-to-date version - 1.3.24. The page for that (remember, as a newbie here, I can't post URL's) points directly at the instructions to add the ppa and run sudo apt-get install wine1.3 - which is what I did originally, and what I tried again in order to upgrade. I also tried removing wine and re-installing, and I still ended up with 1.3.21.

I guess there must be an issue about updating the binaries to correspond with the latest release. (Do the 32-bit and 64-bit binaries get updated at the same time?)

David

On the following page you can manually download the .deb packages for the various versions of Ubuntu in both 32 and 64 bit.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Find the version you need, click on the package icon to expand the list. There you will find the .deb and various other files for updating versions manually.

As far as I know both platforms are updated at the same time.

Just Joined!
    I tried downloading from the launchpad page, but I seemed to get a development package that actually required 1.3.24 to be installed before it would install!

I ultimately discovered that I had to check "Proposed updates" and "Unsupported Updates" in KPackageKit to make it update to 1.3.24 (Which certainly fixes one issue with Mathematica 7). For some reason, however, it doesn't seem possible to uncheck these options - and since they presumably apply to all kinds of software - not just wine - I don't really want to keep them on!

David

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBailey View Post
    I tried downloading from the launchpad page, but I seemed to get a development package that actually required 1.3.24 to be installed before it would install!

I ultimately discovered that I had to check "Proposed updates" and "Unsupported Updates" in KPackageKit to make it update to 1.3.24 (Which certainly fixes one issue with Mathematica 7). For some reason, however, it doesn't seem possible to uncheck these options - and since they presumably apply to all kinds of software - not just wine - I don't really want to keep them on!

David
    Caveat User! Sometimes, you get what you ask for, and then some! ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Caveat User! Sometimes, you get what you ask for, and then some! ...
    Well I guess you do, but it seems a bit crazy if you can't test one piece of unsupported software without getting a mass of other unsupported things!

Presumably developers want people to test unsupported software - that is what it is there for - and so it needs to be easy to do that!

By the way, I have enormous admiration for wine! I have wanted to abandon Windows for some time, doubly so when Microsoft started locking licenses to hardware. However it isn't possible to work as a consultant without working on Windows software, but wine makes it possible to jump that hurdle.

David

I also work as a consultant. I use Wine for some things, but if I really need to use Windows applications, such as MS Office and Visual Studio, then I run Windows in a VirtualBox virtual machine. The nice thing about that is that you can export the VM to other computers, and it still looks to MS like one piece of hardware. As a result, I can run the VM on my workstation in the office, or on my laptop when on the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast