Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install Fallout New Vegas using PlayOnLinux installation scripts on wine 1.3.9. Using FalloutNV.exe, I can get through the intro video to the first loading screen, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fallout NV problem with d3d (i think)

I've been trying to install Fallout New Vegas using PlayOnLinux installation scripts on wine 1.3.9. Using FalloutNV.exe, I can get through the intro video to the first loading screen, but it dies there. The roulette wheel-ish thing at the bottom of the screen keeps going, though.
    Here's the code right before the crash (I think):
    Code:
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f630,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x138b28,0x173200): stub
    fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
    fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
    fixme:d3d_caps:select_card_intel_mesa Card selection not handled for Mesa Intel driver
    fixme:d3d_caps:init_driver_info Unhandled vendor 8086.
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f2b4,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x164cf8,0x1643d8): stub
    fixme:d3d_caps:select_card_intel_mesa Card selection not handled for Mesa Intel driver
    fixme:d3d_caps:init_driver_info Unhandled vendor 8086.
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ea00,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
    fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x1) : stub
    Then there are four lines that repeat (for quite a while) till the debugger decides to start:
    Code:
    fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 909200449 (as fourcc: AL16) WINED3DFORMAT!
    fixme:d3d:getFormatDescEntry Can't find format unrecognized(909200449) in the format lookup table
    fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 909201952 (as fourcc:  R16) WINED3DFORMAT!
    fixme:d3d:getFormatDescEntry Can't find format unrecognized(909201952) in the format lookup table
    If anyone has had a similar problem, I'd like to hear about it and any solutions.

Update
    Realized that there's several forum posts about a similar problem. I assumed that because I'm using a dev version the patch would be applied already, but that may not be the case. I'll try compiling the stable version with the patch, and if that fails, the dev version.
    Last edited by fishin4guitars; 08-26-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Update

Just Joined!
    Another update. This seems to be turning into a howto.

Ok, so I got the source for 1.2.1, but because of a couple screw-ups on my part, I decided to run apt-get source --download-only wine1.3 (add ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa for more up-to-date versions), ran apt-get build-dep wine1.3 to get build dependencies. Because I use playonlinux, I edited the Makefile and changed path to /home/enelson/.PlayOnLinux/wine/1.3.26 . This makes it so that when you run make install, it installs the way playonlinux likes it.

A comment about the fallout new vegas gamebryo renderer patch: It doesn't seem to apply to this version, as the code to remove doesn't exist. Cross your fingers.