Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by pabz Try installing PlayOnLinux with that you can install Windows Media Player 10. I second that and other people do too: wine - How to install Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by pabz View Post
    Try installing PlayOnLinux with that you can install Windows Media Player 10.
    I second that and other people do too:
    wine - How to install Windows Media Player? - Ask Ubuntu

Another option is to use "winetricks" script:
    winetricks - The Official Wine Wiki

and just run in console:
    Code:
    sh winetricks wmp9
    Then AppDB mentions the issue of some distros preventing you from hearing audio:
    WineHQ - Windows Media Player 9.0

For mp3 playback to work, you must have 32 bit libmpg123 installed on your system and Wine must have been compiled with mp3 support. Not all distro packages have this. The workaround for lack of mp3 support in a distro package is to use the codec installed by WMP9 itself, l3codeca.acm. To do this, after installing WMP9 with winetricks, create a symlink named winemp3.acm in the wineprefix's /windows/system32 directory, with l3codeca.acm as the target.
    Feel free to ask for more details should this happen to you:)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    This is what I have been trying to install. I have the icon on my desktop but when I go click on it nothing happens.

Itīs in the Applications Menu > Games > PlayonLinux, but damn, nothing happens.

Itīs loaded into the repositories so I canīt figure.
    OK, you then should open some terminal and type the command:

Code:
    wine --version
    What does it print?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by saulius2 View Post
    OK, you then should open some terminal and type the command:

Code:
    wine --version
    What does it print?
    It prints 1.2 , is this the max for hardy 8.04 , or can I push for 1.3 ? Would this do the trick or do you need 1.4 ?

I will try those suggestions out . Thanks for this help.

Linux Newbie
    Ubuntu 8.04 is very old and no longer maintained, it dates back to 2008 and there have been 8 releases since.

I am not sure what version of WMP was about in 2008.

All you have tried should have worked and do work in more up to date Ubuntu versions.

Consider installing 12.04 where it definitely works.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    I don't have any need for WMP but for some of my other I spent $60 on Crossover and have had great success with it for windoze software. Once you purchase you can download both the 32bit and the 64bit and load them on all your personal units. You might go over there and check it out.
    I gave the crossover a try and it works. WMP works but codecs are really bad - no flv, mp4, h264 etc. I saw the k-lite and downloaded it but have no idea where it goes.

I saw WMP Classic on there but it doesn`t work. I go to one of my drives , say hd1 and press enter and nothing happens. Tried many times !

I thought great , k-lite and with this media player - but nop.

Would really like to know where that codec pack goes though.

Any ideas ? and yes I know 8.04 is ancient but I like it and is reliable enough.

Why not convert the file? ffmpeg can do it from the command line and it's very easy:

How to Convert WMV to MP4 With Ubuntu | eHow.com

Pretty sure both ffmpeg and w32codecs are installable with apt-get.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I notice you are trying to install PlayOnLinux in Ubuntu 8.04. According to the Ubuntu site 8.04 reached its End Of Life on May 12th 2011 which means to say 8.04 is not updated or supported anymore. If you which to keep 8.04 you will have to look for a version of PlayOnLinux that is compatible with 8.04, (remember there were some big changes to Ubuntu starting from 10.04 and I don't mean User Interface wise). My advice to you is to upgrade your Ubuntu to 12.04, you may have to do that in two steps - from 8.04 to 10.04 then to 12.04. Try googling How To Quickly Upgrade From Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy To Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx that will help you from 8.04 to 10.04 . Good Luck and keep up with updating your Ubuntu version it will prevent those kinds of headaches.

Linux Newbie
    I guess I`ll have to update my OS to 12.04 ,although my OS is a closed OS it`s called 12.06 because it is specially tweaked for my Reelbox which is what Iīm using.

If anybody is interested in it just tye Reelbox in the toolbar and you`ll see what I mean.

My thanks go out to all who helped.

Not too well at the moment so will leave it for the time being but will keep you all informed as to how things turn out.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2