Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to play a file with extension .exe... when i play it it gives me an error Archive: /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe [/run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe] End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.exe files

i want to play a file with extension .exe...
    when i play it it gives me an error
    Archive: /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe
    [/run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe or
    /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe.zip, and cannot find /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe.ZIP, period.
    please help me
    thanks

Just Joined!
    I am guessing that you are trying to run a Windows .exe. Linux does not natively support Windows executables. You may try Wine, which can run some windows programs in Linux. Or, by the looks of it, I think you're trying to use Dev-Cpp. You could also download the source and compile it for Linux.

If you're looking to compile C++ code with DevCpp, you can also just install g++, which is a linux native C++ compiler. Depending on your distro, it should be in the repos.

Quote Originally Posted by sahilkarkhanis View Post
    i want to play a file with extension .exe...
    when i play it it gives me an error
    Archive: /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe
    [/run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe or
    /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe.zip, and cannot find /run/media/sahil/B26A90666A90295D/Dev-Cpp/devcpp.exe.ZIP, period.
    please help me
    thanks
    Hi Sahil

Could it be that Linux thinks it has to open the .exe file with the archive manager? Even after wine is installed the opening action of an .exe file still has to be guided towards using the " Wine Windows Program Loader " in the file properties > open with > then: set as default > close.
    from then on a double click will use wine wpl. If that is your scenario, then wine needs to be installed first: sudo apt-get install wine
    Hope that helps
    fen

Just Joined!
    EDIT: This is in the wine section of the forum. Wow, that makes me look like a derp. Fenario's instructions are more helpful here.