Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, newbie here trying to figure out how to install a bio-fingerprint reader USB stick through wine. First of all i am running Linux Mint 14 MATE through a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Biometric fingerprint reader USB through wine?

Hey guys, newbie here trying to figure out how to install a bio-fingerprint reader USB stick through wine.

First of all i am running Linux Mint 14 MATE through a Vbox emulation. Secondly when i mount the USB stick and run the .EXE through wine here is what the terminal outputs for me.

Code:
    -VirtualBox /mnt/USB $ wine autorun.exe
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\Public\\Application Data\\JetFlash220\\DATA.DAT" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x139fb8 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"JetFlash220.exe" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a0b0 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"JetFlash220.pdf" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a0c0 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"LTTS1NDUT176.dll" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a0e8 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"LTTUSB.dll" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a108 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"PasswordBank.dll" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a138 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"PTFVLib.dll" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a158 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"PTSDK4_SS500A_PTFV.dll" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13a298 (nil)

-VirtualBox /mnt/USB $ fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\Public\\Application Data\\JetFlash220" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13dd78 (nil)
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\Public\\Application Data\\JetFlash220\\profile.ini" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x13de48 (nil)
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 4d014 (device=4 access=3 func=405 method=0)
    Now take note just to access the autorun.exe i had to move the .exe from the hidden partition of the stick into windows to the partition linux would read. Then i had to move the .exe to a sub-directory i created under the /mnt directory as i do not know how or where linux mounts the USB stock partition.

Once done i CD to the /mnt/USB directory, run the autorun.exe and the above was the errors. Now i checked around in the C:\\users\\Public\\Application Data\\JetFlash220 directory for most of the files listed and they are there so i am a bit perplexed on this. Any advice or help with how to install and get this working?

Thanks guys.

You are on a wrong track.
    Wine is not a magic tool, that runs arbitrary windows software.
    The more demanding or close to the hardware level a windows software is, the less the likelihood that wine will be of any use.

If the hardware is supported, then my advice would be to run this fingerprint scanner natively, via fprintd
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    You are on a wrong track.
    Wine is not a magic tool, that runs arbitrary windows software.
    The more demanding or close to the hardware level a windows software is, the less the likelihood that wine will be of any use.

If the hardware is supported, then my advice would be to run this fingerprint scanner natively, via fprintd

I was worried you would say that :/ ah well it was worth a shot. I know i can repartition the drive to have access to the hidden partition in linux just fine but that defeats the purpose of a biometeric drive. I will give it a shot with fprintd but from what i have researched and found it looks like that will be a no go for this drive as well.

Thanks again Irithori, your the best.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close