Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I had set up a Buffalo Ministation external hard drive on a Windows PC and setup a password for the drive. Now that i have Linux mint I'm unable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine and Buffalo Hard drive password

Hi,

I had set up a Buffalo Ministation external hard drive on a Windows PC and setup a password for the drive. Now that i have Linux mint I'm unable to access the drive.

I've installed Wine but when i try to run the password.exe with it i get the error " cannot find a driver for which the password is not authenticated ". It sounds like the password.exe file is running but it doesn't know which drive to assign the password to...or something.

I'm thinking there's no fix to this but i thought i'd ask, can anyone think of a way of getting it working? I haven't messed with the Wine configuration at all.

many thanks
    oman

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome!

in my opinion, forget about the password you used with the proprietary software. use windows to get your data off the drive, then use TrueCrypt to reformat the device as an encrypted partition. You can use truecrypt in both Linux and Windows natively, I do the same myself.