Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I'm new to linux using ubuntu and I love it! trying to move fully away from Windows and this is the only thing that I can't get ! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

World of warcraft wine problem.

Hey guys I'm new to linux using ubuntu and I love it! trying to move fully away from Windows and this is the only thing that I can't get ! When I open wow with wine I get this.
    Screenshot.jpg
    My config file is this
    Code:
    SET readTOS "1"
    SET readEULA "1"
    SET readScanning "-1"
    SET readContest "-1"
    SET locale "enGB"
    SET showToolsUI "1"
    SET accounttype "MP"
    SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "1"
    SET installType "Retail"
    SET gxWindow "1"
    SET shadowLevel "1"
    SET specular "0"
    SET patchlist "enGB.patch.battle.net:1119/patch"
    SET enterWorld "1"
    SET hwDetect "0"
    SET videoOptionsVersion "5"
    SET mouseSpeed "1"
    SET Gamma "1.000000"
    SET ChatMusicVolume "0.29999998211861"
    SET ChatSoundVolume "0.39999997615814"
    SET ChatAmbienceVolume "0.29999998211861"
    SET VoiceActivationSensitivity "0.39999997615814"
    SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
    SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
    SET farclip "200"
    SET realmName "Kazzak"
    SET gameTip "111"
    SET minimapTrackedInfo "2056"
    SET screenshotQuality "8"
    SET bloatTest "0"
    SET bloatnameplates "0"
    SET bloatthreat "0"
    SET Sound_OutputDriverName "System Default"
    SET rippleDetail "1"
    SET reflectionMode "0"
    SET weatherDensity "0"
    SET Sound_VoiceChatInputDriverName "Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)"
    SET installLocale "enUS"
    SET gxApi "D3D9"
    SET gxMaximize "0"
    SET showNewbieTips "0"
    SET expandUpgradePanel "0"
    SET questLogCollapseFilter "-1"
    SET launchThirtyTwoBitClient "0"
    SET terrainLodDist "200"
    SET wmoLodDist "100"
    SET terrainTextureLod "1"
    SET worldBaseMip "2"
    SET showRaidRange "1"
    SET SSAOBlur "1"
    SET PushToTalkButton "]"
    SET environmentDetail "50"
    SET terrainMipLevel "1"
    SET Sound_EnableSFX "0"
    SET Sound_EnableAmbience "0"
    SET Sound_EnableMusic "0"
    SET useUiScale "1"
    SET textureFilteringMode "0"
    SET UIFaster "2"
    SET M2UseShaders "0"
    SET coresDetected "4"
    SET unitDrawDist "300.000000"
    SET DesktopGamma "1"
    SET ffxGlow "0"
    SET ffxDeath "0"
    SET fullAlpha "1"
    SET lodDist "100.000000"
    SET SmallCull "0.070000"
    SET Sound_EnableEmoteSounds "0"
    SET lod "1"
    SET ffx "0"
    SET alphaLevel "0"
    SET Sound_MasterVolume "0.5"
    SET targetNearestDistance "80.000000"
    SET CombatLogRangeParty "200"
    SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeCreature "200"
    SET doodadAnim "0"
    SET shadowLOD "0"
    SET MaxLights "1"
    SET mapShadows "0"
    SET anisotropic "0"
    SET showGameTips "0"
    SET pixelShaders "1"
    SET scriptMemory "131072"
    SET M2Faster "0"
    SET uiScale "1"
    SET maxFPSBk "5"
    SET extShadowQuality "0"
    SET accountName ""
    SET particleDensity "10"
    Any help greatly appreciated! thank you.

What version of ubuntu are you running? What are your hardware specs (especially video, RAM and CPU)? What version of WoW are you trying to run? How did you set up wine? Is it in a chroot jail? Did you build a wine bottle for WoW? Have you installed all of the MS dependancies in the bottle for WoW? Did you secure wine so a MS virus won't have any effects on the *nix side of your system? Have you checked over at wine's website to make sure the version of wine that you have supports the version of WoW that you have and if so has it been rated by anybody yet for how well it is supported; preferably with a list of what works and what doesn't? Have you looked in to Play on Linux or Crossover to make wine setup easier. Have you made sure that you have all of the linux wine dependancies? Have you checked to make sure you have the latest video driver? Have you checked to see if there are any known issues between your version of wine, your distro and / or your video driver; or resolutions / hacks / workarounds to rectify any such issues? Have you checked to see if any of the game's ini / config files have to be tweaked to get it to work in wine. Are you trying to set the game up to run full screen or on an emulated desktop; in other words in a window. Just from my own personal experimentation running in a window seems to be the best option for the most part. It's not as pretty, but I've had full screen mode blow my *nix window manager to shreds and then I had to go CLI and manually repair my window manager so I could get X11 to initiate and be able to get back in to the GUI again.

Personally I like Crossover and think it is absolutely, completely and totally worth $40 US for a 1 month subscripton of unlimited functionaly to make it a whole lot easier to get *most* your doze games running on *nix. Crossover is basically "Wine Pro". I'm not a huge gamer. Wine does not work well with a lot of new games. I have about a dozen older games that I love and I come back every couple of years and play them again. I got 9 of them running with Crossover.

Another option is to look in to Steam for *nix. I have it and it's great. I love it. I was one of the early adopters once it went public and I support the project through Beta testing and buying a couple of games here and there after they've been out a while and the price drops.

If none of that gets you straightened out then you can always setup a doze / *nix dual boot with a shared data partiton and just boot in to doze when you're jonsing for WoW. If you go that route, personnally I would go uber insane on the doze sec just so you don't end up with corrupted partitions / boot sector from doze crap and then use it *only* for the games and never let it connect to the outside world for anything other than game play / updates and system updates. And just to CYA I'd also pay for one of the really top end backup programs that can handle a dual boot set up and fully restore your entire system for doze and *nix: MBR, partitons, data, settings, dual boot, all of it (*has sector cloning capabilities*), just in case some doze crap fries your system.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-29-2013 at 01:26 AM.