Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, hope you can help me out. I am working with Fedora Core 3 and Wine. Wine is all installed. I have also installed DCOM98.EXE and InstMsiA.EXE. Wine works ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Problem - Installing Microsoft Image Composer

Hey guys, hope you can help me out. I am working with Fedora Core 3 and Wine. Wine is all installed. I have also installed DCOM98.EXE and InstMsiA.EXE.

Wine works fine. After my CD-ROM mounts I click on setup.exe for frontpage 98 and then click on Microsoft Image Composer (MIC) to install it. After running through a few menu's it starts the installatoin process then boom, an error; "SETUP WAS UNABLE TO START DEE COMMUNICATION WITH DESKTOP". If I hit ignore, everything is ok and I can run the program via terminal through my winebrowser.

Any ideas on that error? I want to be sure it's nothing serious. At the same time I would like to add an icon to my desktop as I have seen in some screenshots. How would I go about doing that?

P.S. sorry if this has been brought up on the forums before.

Well the install program is trying to communicate with your Desktop in a "Windows" Manner, so it won't work. As to creating an icon, which Window Manager do you use?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!

Gnome

Hey, thanks for the reply. Gnome.

It shouldn't cause a problem though right?

Thanks.

No, it shouldn't.
    As to the desktop icon:
    Right Click the Desktop. there should be something like "new shortcut" or something like that. Create one, and when it asks for what command it should run, then:
    Code:
    wine /path/to/program.exe

Just Joined!

Very Fast Help

You have been very good answering my questions. I thank you very much for all the prompt responses.

Just Joined!

Were you able to get Image Composer working with Wine???

Did you get this working???
    If so would you please tell me how you did it. I am having the same problem. Thanks

David