Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good day, my Linux brethren. I salute you! I am running Kubuntu 13.10 as my sole OS on a Lenovo Ideapad S400 touch. I recently purchased a USB File Transfer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB File Transfer Cable with Easy Suite Software crash after start

Good day, my Linux brethren. I salute you!

I am running Kubuntu 13.10 as my sole OS on a Lenovo Ideapad S400 touch. I recently purchased a USB File Transfer cable which touts the ability to transfer files between MAC and Windows. For Windows, it uses a small .exe called EasySuite.exe to open a file-browsing window displaying the contents of folders on both computers. It works on the Windows 7 PC I am connected to, but not yet under Wine on my Leneovo.

I have had such success getting wine to run my windows programs, I honestly thought I would have figured it out by now. Here is what happened when I tried to run the first time. After changing into the directory on the cable wherin the .exe is located:

I said to my terminal:

Code:
    # wine EasySuite.exe
    and it replied:

Code:
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"E:\\EasySuite.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"E:\\EasySuite.exe" failed, status c0000135
    I thus responded:

Code:
    # bash ~/winetricks mfc42
    and it replied:

Code:
    Executing w_do_call mfc42
    Executing load_mfc42
    Executing wine /home/elionai/.cache/winetricks/vcrun6/vc6redistsetup_deu.exe /T:C:\windows\Temp\_mfc42 /c
    Executing cabextract -q /home/elionai/.cache/winetricks/vcrun6/vcredist.exe -d /home/elionai/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32 -F mfc42*.dll
    You opted in, so reporting 'mfc42 ' to the winetricks maintainer so he knows which winetricks verbs get used and which don't.  Use --optout to disable future reports.
    (I accepeted the mfc42 redistributable license agreement which actually did not appear in english. I think it was German because the window gave me the options "La" or "Nein" instead of "Yes" and "No".)

It seemed I had again been victorious with wine, for when I entered for the second time:

Code:
    # wine EasySuite.exe
    I saw the Easy Suite window appear - accurately displaying my Linux home directory, but, alas, it disappeared almost as quickly as it came!

And my terminal read:

Code:
    fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.
    Attached is a snapshot of the program in the brief moment after it loads and before it disappears.

Oh that some Linux magician more scholarly than I would come to my aid!

Does anyone know what might cause an immediate crash of wine just after loading? Could the issue pertain to these fixmes? If so, what are they trying to tell me, and how I may indeed fix them?

Thank you for your time!

BTW, I have already checked the WineHQ site and have found no reference to easysuite there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elionai5683; 04-09-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: additional info/spelling errors

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Unfortunately, a lot of applications don't play nicely with Wine. FWIW, transferring data between Linux, Windows, and OSX should not be a major pain. If you have an installable Windows disc, then install Windows in a VirtualBox VM, enable the USB pass-thru capability of VBox, and then run the tool in the native windows (virtual) environment. I suspect that will work for you. If your systems are networked on the same LAN, then you can avoid all of this by using tools such as scp or ftp to copy files from one system to the other.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!