Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Games tested on Wine with Xubuntu 14.04

Although I dual-booted my Windows games machine to take advantage of the native Linux games and Steam client. I could not help spending time testing out the Windows games I already had installed.

Here is a list of games that I have tested so far. I have not put much effort into configuring them as I wanted to see which ones just run off the bat:

Games that run perfectly on max settings:
    GTA 3
    GTA Vice City
    GTA San Andreas
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
    Left 4 Dead
    Hitman: Codename 47
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    Far Cry - Very high detail but anti-aliasing switched off
    Terraria

Games that work ok, but are slow on max settings:
    TES IV: Oblivion
    TES V: Skyrim

Games that did not work:
    Mafia 2 - could not start
    The Witcher - loaded to menus but game did not start
    Metro 2033 - fails to start, just first splash screen and sound for 1 second.

So as you can see - more games work perfectly than not, which is quite impressive. Bethesda games seem to work but a lot slower than Windows - probably due to Direct3D - there may be some Wine tweaks to improve things although dropping the resolution made the games enjoyable.

Hopefully I will test some more of my collection (got quite a few games to test!). Next 3 games to test are Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Very useful post Sam. Thanks for taking the time!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Just a slight update on this thread. Since upgrading to 15.10, both Oblivion and Skyrim run super-smooth at 1080p, max settings via Wine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks. Keep us informed. This will help a lot of people who are interested in gaming on Linux but don't think it works well yet.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I did want to edit the first post to change the current situation but that seems not to be possible.

New update - The Witcher has gone from "not working" to "works perfectly"! This is pretty good news as I have been wanting to play it and still do not need to boot into Windows to play it. Runs nicely.

Linux Newbie
    It is probably also worth mentioning that Terraria not only works perfectly in Wine, they released it natively for Linux a few months back, which is even better!

Linux Newbie
    Another update: Titan Quest runs nicely at max details and in 1080p. I had never actually played this game as it came in a big bundle a few years ago. Looks like quite a nice RPG.

It is impressive how many Windows games run first time from the Windows version of Steam with no messing around required. This game involved clicking "Install" in the Steam client and then running the game.

Linux Newbie
    -->
    Almost a topical update with the release of Fallout 4 today!

Fallout New Vegas runs perfectly via Wine. It even auto-detected ultra high settings! It does not even do this in Windows, which is a little crazy. It runs really nicely though. How can it run better than Windows in Wine?

Initially, I had trouble with Fallout 3 but running this (already having winetricks installed):

Code:
    winetricks dlls msasn1
    Made it run nicely.
    Last edited by samsonite2010; 11-10-2015 at 10:02 PM.