Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

pad2pad works on an AMD machine but not an INTEL

Hello,
    I have two computers, Laptop with Intel CPU and a Desktop with an AMD CPU. BOTH computers have the exact same Os (Linux Mint 18.1) with all the updates. I have an install script for installing wine (1.6.2) that is used on both computers. So as far as differences go they are the cpu, sound and video. I also have the latest winetricks which installed dotnet40 and corefonts which is needed by pad2pad. No errors occur during installation of any software UNTIL I attempt to run.
    The Desktop is able to run pad2pad.exe via wine without any special tweaking. Both are in a 32-bit Arch when running wine.

wine pad2pad.exe

both computers output the same information until the laptop fails. The main screen of pad2pad comes up nicely but when it goes to load the data I am working on, it freezes.

I get the following error on my LapTop (Intel) motherboard.

err:seh:setup_exception record stack overflow ..

Any advice or steps to resolve this would be appreciated - I like the services of pad2pad and would like to use it on my laptop.

Thank you in advance, George

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are some issues regarding the kernel/cpu/hardware code interactions with newer Intel CPUs. There are patches that you will need to get from the Mint/Debian/Ubuntu sites to install which will update the kernel to deal with them.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

thanks rubberman, afraid it did not work. I have reloaded linux from live-cd and updated the microcode.dat from mint software sources - it installed successfully. It was needed but did not change problem. Same error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Sorry but I'm clueless at this point. I am not familiar with pad2pad so you got all the advice I can offer.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!