Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Make an .exe autostart after opening it with wine.

First of all, hello everyone.

I'm currently testing a point of sale software on linux, its web based so it works, but for printing I need and extra software, an .exe

For this to work correctly i would need that exe to start automatically with linux, i had no problems setting it to start with linux, but when you open it you need to press start.

The program as an option to start with windows, but with wine that does not work.

What i would like to know is if there's any way to press that start button, or something like that, when the program starts.

Sorry if my explanation was confusing.

Thanks for the help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Why are you trying to use this printing software from Windows on Linux. Doesn't the Linux printing system work for you?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

That .exe is mandatory on that specific software, it connects to port 3000 which in turn connects with the web based point of sale software.

If I didn't need it, trust me i wouldn't be using it, I'm just trying to see if we could use it on Linux.

I don't even know if it's possible to do what I'm asking, but i have limited knowledge of Linux, I've tried searching everywhere, didn't find similar requests, that's why I'm asking for help.

Thanks in advanced.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, please list your specific requirements. So far I see this:

1. Need to connect web server to printer
    2. Printer software needs to connect on port 3000

#2 implies that the web software is listening for connections on port 3000. So, one question would be, does the web software require the printer software to use some specific private communications protocol?

I'll try to explain the best way I can.

It only needs UDP and TCP on port 3000, in my best knowledge, being this a cloud based point of sale, it only uses this .exe so it can detect the printer on the local computer and communicate with her, not only printer, but also display and scale, it's weird i know.

The program works, but on linux i have to press start, because the option start with windows doesn't work.

I know this is a simple request, which might become complicated, but for many people, pressing start is not an option.

Thanks in advanced.

You say it starts as a process when the Linux system starts, but still needs the "start" button to be engaged? How is it being started by Linux? And what distribution/version of Linux are you using?

Do note that you may need to set a configuration option for the .exe so that it auto-enables that start button when it starts up. Worth looking into in any case.

Yes, the program starts, and by that, i mean it opens the options, like configuration start and exit, i'll post an image, but it's in Portuguese, my native language.

Only then can I press start, and it runs in the background, it's badly designed.

That configuration i need to set, where do i do that?

And thank you very much helping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm trying to understand how the operating system starts the application. Is there a script in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc5.d? Also, you didn't answer the question about the specific Linux distribution+version that you are running. These are important if you want our help.

Sorry, i tried with ubuntu and lubuntu 16.10, ubuntu it's built in autostart thingy, i don't remember the name sorry, and lubuntu i made a script and its located in init.d, added the command line of wine and the location of the exe so it would start with wine.

but i'm probably going to have to stick with lubuntu, because the computers are extremely weak.

Please post the files in your /etc/init.d directory, and the contents of the wine script inside of code blocks.