Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem with executing PL/SQL Developer on Wine

I want to migrate from Windows to Linux. I chose and installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. It is important for me to be able to use the Allround Automations PL/SQL Developer because the Oracle SQL Developer is useless garbage. I installed the Wine-3.0 and then installed PL/SQL Developer using MSI installer. After opening the program, I do a little bit of action and get out an error like on screenshot attached ("Screenshot.zip").

I attached the "plsqldev.log.zip" file which contains plsqldev.log.

I tried to run PL/SQL Developer with older version of Wine 2.22 (using PlayOnLinux) and also tried to run 32-bit of PL/SQL Developer with Wine 3.0, but got same error.

Please help to solve problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hmh. Generally, if you do want to use Windows applications you want to use Windows. There is a list of Windows applications at https://www.winehq.org/help which do work, more or less. There may be also tips how to make your app work. Have you visited their site?
    Also, screenshots are not appreciated (they also do not work on this site for most of us). It is much easier to copy and paste text here - and please use code tags when doing so.
    Finally, if you want someone look at your logs, again, make it easy. Use a pastebin utility and give us the link.

Edit: I did look it up for you - https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...cation&iId=935

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Hmh. Generally, if you do want to use Windows applications you want to use Windows. There is a list of Windows applications at ... which do work, more or less. There may be also tips how to make your app work. Have you visited their site?
    For all other applications there are good alternatives at Linux, but there is no good client for developing in Oracle. Yes, I listed thier site (appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=35482), and the page related to PL/SQL Developer, but there were differences in versions. Wine was 3.0, but not 2.11, and PL/SQL Developer was 12.0.7, but not 12.0.3.1821. Just now, when I opened this page again, I found that, they use 32bit version of Oracle Instant Client, but I used 64bit version. Now, first I'll try to use Oracle Instant Client 32bit, if it will not help I'll try to reduce version of wine to 2.11 and version of PL/SQL Developer to 12.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Also, screenshots are not appreciated (they also do not work on this site for most of us). It is much easier to copy and paste text here - and please use code tags when doing so.
    Finally, if you want someone look at your logs, again, make it easy. Use a pastebin utility and give us the link.
    It was immposible to copy the text from error window of PL/SQL Developer, that is why, I decided to use screenshot.
    When I try to post link to pastebin, I receive message the "You are only allowed to post URLs (http, ftp, @) to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more".
    Link to the pastebin: pastebin.com/NWf8CGwH.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Wine is a fantastic effort from a technical point of view, but thinking operational it is always the second best option.
    Because the windows programs are not developed for and not tested against wine.

Even if you get a windows tool running once, there is no guarantee that all functions work or that the next version of wine/the windows tool work together.

If you concluded, that there is no other tool that suits your usecase, than I would suggest a native windows for it.
    Either via VM or a second machine.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasadar View Post
    I want to migrate from Windows to Linux. I chose and installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. It is important for me to be able to use the Allround Automations PL/SQL Developer <snip>
    Something else to perhaps consider is one of the wine extension projects, like Crossover Office, that uses wine underneath but adds a sophisticated management tool on top, with automatic setup and better linking to required libraries (IE, VB runtime etc). I'm not sure about support for your particular tool, but you can go check it out on their compatibility listings.

I have found, sometimes, that cxoffice gives me a better experience, especially if I install IE dll's up front etc. Even if the tool is not specifically listed. CXoffice is free to try, but does require a licence to use. That said, it's cheap if you don't select support.

Go well.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasadar View Post
    there is no good client for developing in Oracle.
    define good.
    also, linux is an IDE.

also, you lack search-fu: Oracle Developer Studio