Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Where do I get a copy of Wine 3.1?

Anyone know how I could get a copy of Wine 3.1, please?
    I'm trying to get the MMORPG Star Trek Online to run, and it doesn't wanna work - so far I've tried 3.0.1 (the latest stable version) and 3.11 (the latest development version) and it fails on both, but at different points in loading.
    Somebody on the game's forum told me that for them it works with Wine 3.1 and only 3.1. So I thought is was worth trying.
    Somebody in Wine's IRC channel found me a copy of 3.1 on GitHub, but it was 32-bit only and wouldn't run on my 64-bit Ubuntu variant.

Linux User
    PlayOnLinux uses the best version automatically. If you install the game using it, it'll use the version of WINE that works best with it.

Oh OK, people have sometimes mumbled something that seemed to hint at PlayOnLinux being a solution to the problem but that's the first time I've seen it properly ewxpleained what they meant, thanks.

But is there any way that PlayOnLinux can be made to run a program that's already installed?

On my connection, I estimate that reinstalling STO from scratch would take about 48 hours (and for various reasons it's not convenient to leave it to run overnight), so I'm not doing that - if that's the only option, the thing's had its chance and I#m deleting it and installing something el;se - it was always shonky on my computer anyway, it was about at the limit of the RAM and graphics card.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    -->
    How did you install that game?