Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to use wine to run windows media player, does any one know how to make the sound card accessible through wine....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Sound with wine

I am trying to use wine to run windows media player, does any one know how to make the sound card accessible through wine.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Re: Sound with wine

Quote Originally Posted by 1badex96
    I am trying to use wine to run windows media player, does any one know how to make the sound card accessible through wine.
    The obvious question here is why would you do such a thing? There are much better media players (in Windows even) to use...

Does your sound even work with Linux native stuff? What about other things in WINE? I had to configure nothing to get sound working in WINE...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    for my sirius satillite radio to work in the net i have to use windows media, that is the only reason i want it. Yes all my sound works in native linux with no problems. When i open IE6 with wine and then I go to sirius website it shows that my music is playing but there is not any sound coming out.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

A good alternative involves using mplayer with windows codecs. If you use a packaging system to do installs you might need to install "alien" to help with some of the packages. Search for mplayer with google, it's everywhere. Also get the latest version of mplayerplug-in at sourceforge. If you're using firefox make sure that you copy the codec from the mozilla plugin folder to the firefox plugin folder. (usually found in /usr/lib). Mplayer is a good replacement for windows media player. That's how I listen to most of the radio streams using asx. (or any kind of url using /reflector: at the end of it).

When it comes to audio what kind of errors do you get? Sometimes installing Jack, oss, alsa or any other audio library can fix the problem.

However I do prefer the mplayer method.

If you installed wine through a package manager, there may be additional packages needed to get certain things working, like sound, networking, etc.

Compiling from source should make everything work, and it's pretty easy to do.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!