Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have wine configured and it will run one or two apps properly. But later, when i try to run wine again. it just hangs...... I looked at the process ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wine hangs

I have wine configured and it will run one or two apps properly. But later, when i try to run wine again. it just hangs...... I looked at the process list and noticed that wineserver is still running...... i try to kill it with wineserver -k and that doesn't work. and using kill -9 ## doesn't work either.... only restarting the entire OS will it fix the problem..... so anytime i type in wine appname.exe it just hangs....... even ctrl+c doesn't work...... i have to end that process..... and it I retype in the same thing (wine appname.exe) it hangs again, but I can now use ctrl+c to terminate it... How would i go about debugging this situation? wine or wineserver doesn't provide me with any information what so ever...

thanks in advance,
    -Todd

If you run winedbg, you can debug what's going on. This may or may not help you TS the problem, but it's worth a shot.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    from what I can tell, winedbg hangs too.... even if I run it without any parameters....... it just sits there....

Something I did test wine with was the root account... it appears everything works fine if I log in under root and run applications that way... but of course, that's a bad idea... also, if I'm root, wineserver still won't shutdown when i issue a wineserver -k command....

-Todd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by aragonsr
    from what I can tell, winedbg hangs too.... even if I run it without any parameters....... it just sits there....

Something I did test wine with was the root account... it appears everything works fine if I log in under root and run applications that way... but of course, that's a bad idea... also, if I'm root, wineserver still won't shutdown when i issue a wineserver -k command....

-Todd
    Yeah...you want to run the exe with winedbg as you would normally with wine...does that still hang? I actually have odd things happen with wine and wineserver still running, but a kill -9 works on it. That mostly spawns from WoW exiting non-gracefully (wine barfs an error everytime I quit the game ) though, so I don't think it's related to your problem.

What programs are you runnning? Is it reproduceable depending on the program? It would be easier to track down the problem if one of these were easily answered.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    What version of wine are you using?
    Please see my recent post on getting applications to work with wine on FC

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-36958.html