Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I compiled the latest wine, got steam running, ent to login, and I have no keyboard input!! PLEASE HELP ME! I have been looking everywhere!!! AGG!!!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WINE problems

I compiled the latest wine, got steam running, ent to login, and I have no keyboard input!! PLEASE HELP ME! I have been looking everywhere!!! AGG!!!

Linux Newbie
    If you calm down and not post the same topic in two forums please.

Umm like I said,

Crossover Wine, For Programs.
    Cedega or WineX/Cedega CVS, For Games.

Oh BTW, Steam counts as a game.

Just Joined!
    how can one justify paying monthly for cedega though?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by privatesniper
    how can one justify paying monthly for cedega though?
    The way I justified it was this: I didn't. I paid my initial requirement of 3 months for $15USD, downloaded the latest version, and immediately canceled the service. I just considered it like buying the product for $15. I don't like subscriptions either.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    can't wine developers just download it and "learn" from the code lol

can't wine developers just download it and "learn" from the code lol
    Nope. Not all the source code is included in the downloadable version. Most notably the copy-protection algorithms that were legally licensed from companies like SecuROM and SafeDisc. These pieces of code cannot be released for public consumption, therefore the maintainers of the WINE project wouldn't be able to benefit from this. It's one of the main differences between WINE and Cedega.

Not to mention that the scope and purpose of WINE is completely different than that of Cedega. WINE aims to be a compatibility layer for all types of programs, whereas Cedega focuses purely on games and 3D-acceleration.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    ok that's fair enough, so why can't they just use some form of debugger to find out how cedega works and see what makes it tick?

ok that's fair enough, so why can't they just use some form of debugger to find out how cedega works and see what makes it tick?
    Well, for one, reverse engineering a commercial product by decompilation is considered illegal in many countries, and for another, what would be the point?

I think perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of either project. Cedega is being developed by a commercial company to play MS Windows games and make money off their product. WINE is being developed by a free, open-sourced group for the purpose of making Linux compatible with MS Windows software. This may include games, but it is certainly not their main focus.

Even if the developers of the WINE project could legally take the advancements that Transgaming has built into Cedega (which at the moment only have to do with working with DirectX, the Microsoft 3D API), it wouldn't really be of much advantage to them since the only programs it would affect directly would be games. With WINE, games are just one type of application that get some attention. With Cedega, games are the ONLY focus.

This is not to say that either WINE or Cedega couldn't benefit from the work each other have done, or that they aren't already doing so. I just see these two as separate markets rather than "competition". They are originally based on the same code, after all.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i know the difference between the 2 ffs, but wine is short for windows emulator, i am a serious gamer and games are the only thing stopping me from converting to linux (although i will be dual booting in the near future)

wine is aiming to get stuff to work but there's no reason why this doesn't include games, i have plenty of games which i will be testing, and will be uploading debug material to relevant places,,

i just wish i had the patience to learn programming myself and help the team, but i do enjoy testing things like new updates hence why i love being an app maintainer

i know the difference between the 2 ffs, but wine is short for windows emulator,
    No, sorry, it isn't. I've explained this before in this thread. Wine is a recursive acronym for "WINE Is Not an Emulator". The Sourceforge project is named "Wine is not an Emulator", and there are several sites online including Wine HQ that refer to it as "Wine Is Not An Emulator". WINE is a compatibility layer that interprets MS Windows API calls made by MS Windows software into a language that Linux can understand.

i am a serious gamer and games are the only thing stopping me from converting to linux (although i will be dual booting in the near future)
    If you're a serious gamer, dual boot. That's all there is to it. MS Windows games are always going to run better on MS Windows, since that's the OS for which they were designed.

wine is aiming to get stuff to work but there's no reason why this doesn't include games...
    Yes, as I've said, it is one aspect of what WINE is trying to accomplish, but not the main one, therefore there will always be other priorities that come before game support, unlike Cedega.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast