Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Imscaredofgrass Despite the fact that i hate M$, i have come to like their Media player. though its not necessary, id prefer to have it. But since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Imscaredofgrass
    Despite the fact that i hate M$, i have come to like their Media player. though its not necessary, id prefer to have it. But since we dont always get what we want, i was wondering if there was another media player for linux that had .WMV and .WMA support
    Xine and Mplayer offer .wmv support. I can't say about WMA.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i xine and it does have wma support : )
    I still prefer the wmp 10, and the old 6.4 isnt as much a security threat, and uses very little resources. In my opinion, WMP is the only thing M$ did right...

Just Joined!
    maybe the old version did that, but why stick with a crap old version of M$ crap when you can have an up to date good program, like the ones mentioned in this post?

I did like the wmplayer 8,9,10 but there's too much trying to sell you stuff and manage things for you , like DRM and licence acquiring. Amarok does much the same as WMPlayer but without the crap, and although slightly more manual for managing your collection it does a much better job and doesn't hang the system when you click the wrong tab.

Linux Newbie
    Meh I don't like kaffine that much or xine. They both have the same problem. wmv dont come up but have sound, .mov files come up but no sound. wma files dont work period... But yeah you can use wmp on wine, I got it to run, same with quicktime, but it bugy though. Also try winamp linux version....

Just Joined!
    tried xmms??

Just Joined!

I hate to say it

I've been a non-windows user running linux for a while, and I have to say that I am amazed with how well many players in linux can handle all the different media I throw at them.

Yes, windows media player has a lot of really annoying features... but, the one thing that I liked about it that I miss a little is that I enjoyed it's media library/jukebox features a little more than anything I've found in linux.

I primarily listen to classical music, and most programs in linux make the assumption that artist=performer=composer etc, which is never true with classical music. I hate to say it, but in the Windows platform, there are several players that handle this well, including windows media player, and none that I can find in linux. I'm trying to learn enough programming to modify the rhythmbox source code for my self, or I might just try writing my own application from scratch.

It is difficult to illustrate the complexity of this problem, but I'll try and give some examples:
    I have several different versions of the same orchestral works (ie. Beethoven Symphonies, Mahler Symphonies, the same Piano Concertos with different pianists, ...). I would like to have fields such as ensemble, conductor, composer, in addition to the usual titles and artist. Then, I would be able to search by composer, or whatever.

With rhythmbox, if I want to listen to my Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no 2 with Van Cliburn as the pianist, I can use as a search arg. Rachmaninov and try and find the recording I want, or I can type Van Cliburn and try and find the recording I want. This is a pain.

Anyone know of a program that might meet my needs? I've already tried xmms, rhythmbox, amarok, and juk.

Just Joined!
    http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

Do the base setup with winetools. Make sure You use a tested version of wine recommended on winetools page. Winetools will download ie6 and windowsmediaplayer is included along with outlookexpress. Bring up media player by typing wmplayer in shell or run.

I finally have mplayer (not wmplayer) running on suse10....works for movies, qt, wma, wmv, mpg, rm etc....sweet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2